Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speakers No Sound

• Please log in to reply

JRex

JRex

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
HELP!

I pluged speakers into my computer but no sound. I plugged into the mother board green recp. No sound, so I thought I need a sound card. Ordered, not here yet, but am I right?

Running a PC with 2000 Pro.

tHANKS,
jOHN

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have sound jacks on the computer you do have on-board sound. Have you taken a look in device manager to see if you have any drivers for your sound? Most motherboard makers will have utilities that will install sound for the on-board chipsets. If you recieved a motherboard cd it will usually have the sound drivers for the motherboard.

Please let us know what you find.

SRX660

JRex

JRex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
:whistling:

Device Manager - I found
(= Sound, Video, Game
-(= Audio Codecs - - Working fine
-(= Legacy Audio - - Working fine.

BUT NOT WORKING AT ALL> Next step????

Thanks,
John

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I always check the software sound controls first. Double click the speaker icon in the lower right corner and make sure nothing is muted and everything is set to max. Go into 'sounds' in Control Panel and make sure nothing is muted their.....

Double check all speaker connections.

A friend of mine bumped one of three buttons on his sub-woofer and couldn't figure out what happened. I've never seen such a strange set of power buttons.....

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You still do NOT have any sound drivers in your system. The Audio codec's and Legasy Audio are windows drivers which are installed even if you have no audio at all on the computer.

For instance, my Intel 845 chipset motherboard has the "Realtek AC'97 audio" along with "Audio Codecs", "Legacy Audio Drivers", "Legacy Video Capture Devices", "Media Control Devices", and "Video Codecs". I loaded the audio and video drivers from the motherboard CD included with the motherboard when i bought it.

You now need to look at your motherboard and find out who made it and what model it is. With this information we can look it up on the internet and possibly find the audio drivers you need. Any information about the computer would be helpful here.

A couple of programs might help here. One is Aida32. It's a old program to find information on the hardware on your computer. It is pretty old now so newer hardware sometimes do not come up right in it. Another one is Everest free home edition. Look for thm here.

http://www.majorgeek...downloads9.html

So lets find out what you have. Post the basic info here.

SRX660

JRex

JRex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
You were right... Downloaded program.

Showed the sound card portion...I clicked on it and it took me to the web site. clicked on drivers...found the one this program said I had...Downloaded...Installed...and Bang, It works.

Thanks for the help.

OH, my sound card that I bought just arrived today. My wife told me weeks ago to biuy a sound card, that's why it doesn't work.

Thanks again.