Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

adkron

adkron

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

I am planning to purchase a new computer but would appreciate input on which is the best processor for me.

I know Core 2 is the best but I don’t do any gaming and wonder if I need one. I also can not get DSL for my Internet hook up because of where I live. Maybe some day it will be available here. I do spend a great deal of time probably too much) on the Internet.

I use my computer for word processing, spreadsheets, record keeping, digital photography, DVD watching, and maintaining my homepage. I currently own a Presario 6410NX with:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.67 GHz
Frontside Bus Speed: 200/266 MHz
Processor Architecture: PGA462 Socket A
Chipset: Via KM266 8235
RAM: 512 MG of RAM.

I have a friend that has a Dell with a Pentium 4 and 512 MG of RAM. It really runs much faster than mine.

There are so many Pentiums out there I don’t know which is best other than core 2. The same is true for AMD processors. Which is best and what do you think someone with my usage needs?

Happy Veteran's Day Vets.

Thanks,

adkron

Edited by adkron, 11 November 2006 - 06:41 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really don't know what your asking here.

I use my computer for word processing, spreadsheets, record keeping, digital photography, DVD watching, and maintaining my homepage.

I use a Athlon 2400 computer to do all of the above. I also have a intel 3.0 prescott on a 865 intel motherboard that does everything the athlon 2400 does but just barely faster. And i have a intel cedar mills 3.0 on a intel 945 motherboard that i not much faster than either of the other computers.

So what is best for you? I couldn't really tell you. Maybe no upgrade at all is just as well.

If you really want to upgrade go for the best Core 2 Duo you can get since there is no reason to do a halfway upgrade that will be obsolete as soon as Vista appears.

End of Rant here( didn't really mean it to be a rant)

SRX660

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
You say 'digital photography'. I presume that also includes editing of said photographs. If so your main problem is your RAM. Photo Editing running XP with only 512mb is rather tedious. For effective photo editing you're best to have at least 1gb of ram. Most photo-editors will run 2gb ram to get the job done quicker.
The matter of fact is the computing world is ever changing. You could buy a high-end processor today then in 5 years time it'll be the equivalent of todays 1ghz processors. Technology is changing fast so the best thing to do is obviously to upgrade to a newer motherboard, as socket A won't be around for many years to come. This all depends really on how long an investment you intend this to be.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Edited by burnoutnotfadeaway, 12 November 2006 - 06:14 PM.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Edited by burnoutnotfadeaway, 12 November 2006 - 06:14 PM.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
As a quick-fix of your similarly-compared system between yours and your friends computer speed. Download a program like Tune Up. 9Tune-up.com) or CCleaner (CCleaner.com). This will surely increase the speed of your system.
Select Start - Run - type msconfig and press enter
Under the 'Start-Up' tab uncheck all the programs you effectively don't need to start when you switch your machine on. This will greatly increase the start up speed and overall speed.

Let us know how you get on with tuning your system.

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. It's begining to look more and more like a computer with a core2 processor and 2MGs of RAM is what I should be saving my pennie for.

adkron

Edited by adkron, 13 November 2006 - 07:43 PM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

some core 2 duo's don't support hyper threading-with hyper threading it makes a differance.

Cheers...xxx1 :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you just need something cheap and sooner rather than later i would probably go AMD they still have a price edge at the lower end so on a budget and for what you want it for they are a great choice and AM2s are a good place to start and should be easier to upgrade being fordward compatible with AMDs next socket type.

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks everyone,

I plan to wait for Vista to come out before buying a new computer. Meanwhile I’m waiting to hear from Hp on what AMP processor I can upgrade to.

I currently have a PGA462 Socket A for my AMD processor.

Thanks again,

adkron

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats a big problem for you then, AMD dont make CPUs for that socket anymore and they run for a large premium in the stores that still have them and on auction sites, its usually easier to get a new motherboard.

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Thats a big problem for you then, AMD dont make CPUs for that socket anymore and they run for a large premium in the stores that still have them and on auction sites, its usually easier to get a new motherboard.

Hi Warriorscot,

I don't think I am up to doing a motherboard replacement so I will wait until I can get new computer.

Thanks,

adkron