Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Beeping noise

• Please log in to reply

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Everytime I turn off my computer for the night and turn it back on in the morning, this annoying beeping noise comes from the tower until my computer is fully started. Does anyone know why this is happening and any way to make it stop?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
beeping noises at startup are intentional -- they tell you if all your internal hardware is okay (one short beep) or if one of the components has failed or is faulty, in which case you hear a series of beeps or one long beep (rather like morse code) depending on the nature of the problem. Could, for example, be a faulty keyboard which still works but has a faulty connection or wiring which the system detects as 'not working'. Or it could be some internal component which you haven't yet realised is faulty but which is not vital for the PC to boot into Windows. (a PCI network-card you don't use perhaps, or one of the memory modules has died?).

These are called 'BIOS POST Codes' and they vary according to the manufacturer of your BIOS chip. the BIOS manufacturer's name appears briefly when you boot up, or you can hold down the 'BIOS Setup' key (usually the Delete key) during boot-up and get the manufacturer's name from the setup screen. Most generic computers have an AMI, Award, or Pheonix BIOS chip, whilst some big-name systems like DELL & Compaq put their own name on the BIOS.

All the major BIOS manufacturer's POST (Power On Self Test) codes can be found here:
http://www.bioscentral.com/

Edited by pip22, 12 November 2006 - 02:11 PM.

Macro Svelte

Macro Svelte

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Finally, someone answered this. Now, if I could only get MY TOPIC (an Uninstall question) answered!
Hey, Tattoolover, if Pip's answer flew right over your head, let me add an alternative:
I'm a beginner, and when I started out two months back, I had heard a queer 'Ding' that persisted through Log-in, til whenever-it- deigned- to-STOP, which could take hours.
But this was a problem with the Speakers, not the Tower's Boot-up Beeps.
If your sure it's a noise from the Tower, disregard my blather.
The sounds from the speaker, however, are easily fixed, from the Adjust Audio Properties function.