Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN XP boot up problems

• Please log in to reply

HEENS

HEENS

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi again (keith, wannabe)

I have had no probs for a while and now i seem to notice a really long delay when i start my pc in the morning. it will go through the normal booting procedures, but it will stay on the desktop page for at least a few minutes WITHOUT any of the icons on the desktop as well as any time clock, mcafee icon, or internet icons. once it starts to load, it runs good until i turn it off.

this HP dv8000 pavillion laptop has been running good since i replaced the 1GB ram stick. i only have been doing the antivirus weekly checkup, as well as the normal adaware se, mru blaster, and spybot.

this just started about a week or two ago, and i did not make any changes or repairs until i here from the pros at G2G.

thanks for your help in advance.

heens aloha!! :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hello heens, welcome back to this site

- do you keep a record of the your start ups in msconfig since the simplest would be to see which are new, that were not here before, and trying to disable them

to test startups as cause of the posting problem:

first
- disconnect the computer from the internet

run command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste into slot: msconfig
- press: enter
- click tab: startups
- record which ones are in use later restoring
- disable all of them
- click: apply
- click: ok
- click: restart computer

if the computer arrives at post smoothly then, the problem lies in the startups

databases, of startups entries in msconfig
-----------------------------------------------------
bleepingcomputer
http://www.bleepingc...r.com/startups/
castlecops
http://www.castlecop...tartupList.html
spyware-net
http://www.fbmsoftwa...-net/index.html
processlibrary
http://www.processli...ory?files=nvcpl
geekstogo
http://startuplist.geekstogo.com/
tasklist
http://www.tasklist.org/

if you find that the problem is the start ups but are not sure which one, post hjt log with security here
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Edited by fleamailman, 12 November 2006 - 06:39 AM.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi fleamailman,

thanks for the fast response. i am at work and do not have access to the suspect laptop. i will follow your instructions about the msconfig steps as you outlined.

i have not kept track of what is in start up, except i do recall that i had only had the essential mcafee security things with a check mark next to it. i will look at it when i get home to see what is running and if i have new things starting up when i boot up.

i will be replying about 5pm hawaii time, so thanks for your help and i will chat with you again soon.

heens

ps what are the links at the bottom of your reply for? am i supposed to read any/all of these links?...thx...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I will be asleep but no doubt someone here will reply in my place "bonne nuit"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did msconfig show anything?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi keith

glad to hear from you...sorry but i have to see a friend at the hospital, so as soon as i get back, i will reply...

however, the ONLY things that was running 7 items..most of them mcafee related..it takes alomost 3 minutes to the second to have it up and running (did it three times)

here is the 7 items (in case you wanted to see it)

McUpdate
mcagent
cpqset
mcmnhdlr
mcvsshld
oasclnt
SynTPEnh

thanks man...chat soon in a couple hours...

heens

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi keith,

i am back at home now. i disabled all items in the msconfig, and after rebooting (and it still took a long time to boot), i found three things in start up

they are all mcafee items and they are:

McUpdate
McAgent
MskAgent

Is there a way to totally disable McAfee from start up, so I can check to see if that is causing it to not boot up quicker? I keep unchecking all and I keep getting the same three re-checked after reboot. FYI, I always had McAfee and never had this slow boot up prob.

Thx...

Heens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run these first

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
keith,

all done. had no problems with prefetch or disc clean up. and the defrag was 0%, but i did it anyways. should i try to reboot or is there other things u wanted me to do?

heens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot and see how it is

Advertisements

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
okay, i rebooted twice to make sure i got it correct. on both times, it changed dramatically!!!! i now get ALL icons on the desktop in 22 seconds from the time the windows logo pops on the screen. however, on both occasions, it isn't until 3mins, 23 secs that it recognizes/loads the internet connection. i run dsl. at least i got the icons on the desktop, but should it take that long to have the internet be available?

thanks...the prefetch/disc clean up/defrag fixed the slow boot up...now on to the internet issue...

heens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does McAfee scan at start up

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
no..it only scans at a preset time (mondays at 9pm), not when it boots up

i hope that is what u were asking

Edited by HEENS, 13 November 2006 - 01:19 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has the router got a reset button, or can you unplug it (mains plug) for a minute then plug it back in

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
i did as you said and it acted up again. recounting my steps, this is what i did. i first turned off my laptop, then disconnected the router and the modem. after a miinute, i connected the modem and let it stabilize. then i powered up the router. then i turned on my laptop. it took 3 mins to get the icons again. so i rebooted and it only took 24 seconds to get the icons, BUT it went until over three minutes to get internet back on.

this reminds me of my initial contact with G2G, remember? (i had a bad 1GB ram stick that gave probs when i turned it off for a while)

heens