Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN XP boot up problems

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I will chat with wannabe1 later, probably 12 hours from now

Advertisements

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
thanks for the help....chat again soon...

aloha,

heens

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curious,
- once you are on the internet does everything work fine
- if you look at task manager during connecting do you see something odd

probably you have done this already
deleting internet cookies, files and history
-------------------------------------------------
- press the keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: inetcpl.cpl
- press: enter
- click: delete cookies
- click: delete file
- click: clear history

another idea is to try internet from sofemode with networking
in that if the connection is quick then it is probably your starts up that are dragging things

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Aloha! HEENS...

Sounds like XP is scanning your LAN for a server it can't find...try this:

Open Control Panel and double click on "Network Connections". Right click on your "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties". Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then on the "Properties" button. Select "Use the following IP address" and give it a dummy address such as is shown below.

IP address: 1.2.3.4
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Click "Ok" to all open windows and reboot. Any difference?

wannabe1

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi wannabe1,

sorry it took so long to reply but i just got back from work..(and nice to chat again)

i just turned on the laptop and it is back to the original problem in this thread, which is when it starts it boot up, it takes a bit over 3 minutes to get the icons on the desktop. i just did it three times before typing this.

remember the last time i had probs, i had bad ram. should i test this for ram too?

will await any questions you have and thx for your help

heens

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi wannabe1,

since i had to work a full day, i left the laptop on and ran memtest for over 13 hours and had no problems (just for your info)

when it did the first boot up tonight, it again took over 3 minutes to get the icons on the desktop. kinda weird huh....once it is up and running, it runs great.

heens

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi again,

i just turned on the laptop again and it still takes three minutes to get the desktop and it's icons all in place. i'll keep monitoring this thread to see what you might suggest...

heens

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hello keith or wannabe1,

i was wondering if i need to start a new thread or not, but it is still taking about three minutes to load the icons on the desktop. i scan regularly and use adaware, spybot, as well as check the MS site for updates.

i do the prefetch, disc clean up and defrag, and still get the same prob. i ran memtest and got nothing. i even disabled all boxes in msconfig.

once it loads (after the 3 minutes) it will run without any probs.

here is my question: when i had my ram problems back in july, i got hp to send me a new one and i created a restore point, because it was running good. can i go back to that KNOWN good point in time and restore to that time? and if so, what do i gain? and what data could/would be lost?

thanks for your help...

HEENS :whistling: