Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Partitions

• Please log in to reply

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes I have a Second computer that I use for playing around, with software.
What I have is a 20 gig hd, with windows xp profeshinal, and I want to set up another
partition, and install Solaris 10, on it. Do I need to wipe xp then setup two partitions?
Or can I set up another partition now, with the xp on the computer.

Thanks

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry that this thread has gone unreplied to, other than partition magic, I cannot see an easy way to do this, but partition magic costs money so hopefully someone else here will recommend something to you. the old fdisk in dos would means redoing everything so let's wait and see

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I know how to wipe a hd, and in stall windows, useing an xp disk, I might need to only spesifie, oney so much of the hd space, so I'll room fore a second partition.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
simply, yes, but hopefully someone else here will come up with the goods for you because it is so much easier to just adjust the partition with partition magic, that is than wiping the whole drive partitioning it into two and then installing xp on one and solaris on the other, looking for the drivers and the backup, etc. Anyway, if you get no joy soon, think of it as no alternative but to either pay for partition magic or do it as you have suggested

Edited by fleamailman, 12 November 2006 - 12:52 PM.

Dauntless Red Hue

Dauntless Red Hue

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Yes I have a Second computer that I use for playing around, with software.
What I have is a 20 gig hd, with windows xp profeshinal, and I want to set up another
partition, and install Solaris 10, on it. Do I need to wipe xp then setup two partitions?
Or can I set up another partition now, with the xp on the computer.

Thanks

:whistling: :blink: I am doing the same things with a XP computer. Traditional technique has you installing Win(OS) in the first partision. AS TO the tools, I recommend [7TOOLS] as your partisioning agent.

My partisioning is 40 Gig for XP 20 gig EXT3FS for Solaris 10, and 20 gig linux swap partision space.
The reasion I use exp3 is that it is a jouneling FS and make fault detection easer.

I made both the 5 CD Solaris install; and the DVD Solaris install. :help: :help:

Please write back..