Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error "cannot perform this operation b/c the default client is n

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I keep getting this error when as an example I click on Suppor Link for one of my programs and this error pops up and i have to manually type it in the address in my OE.

I thought it quit for awhile, perhaps I was mistaken. Now I have to manually put in the address on OE.

Is this a quirk of Xp sp2??? Is there a setting that needs adjustment or is there a workaround???

I would appreciate comments, thankyou.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Do you have an alternative browser such as firefox set as the default instead of IE perhaps? If so, try setting default back to IE then see if problem is cured. It's not an error i've encountered but worth a try.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
No, I don't use an alternate browser, but when I googled and put in the words that are contained in the Error up came some details that I did not totally understand and so I thought I would post here to see if I did something wrong to my settings.
Not being computer literate I thought I may have inadvertently hit a setting and did not know that I did.

As i did not notice this issue when I first started using my notebook.

Thx for hanging in here and trying to help me as I would really like to resolve this.

Best Regards.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I must have missed something...what is the full text of the error?

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Outlook Express 6.0 is my only browser, for awhile I was having this problem that I will describe and then it seemed to go away and now it is back.

When I click on a Link, be it in one of my programs or a "contact us" b/c I want to contact some company re an issue or it can also be "support@..." etc.

I keep coming up with the Error:

" Cannot perform this operation because the default client is not properly installed."

The email address is short and not a long one as described above and I simply cannot get my email sent??? by clicking on the Link the normal way.

As i mentioned this occurred awhile back and seemed to have corrected itself or I did something inadvertently that corrected it and now it is back again???
When I check my Internet Options, indeed Outlook Express is my email.

I run no other browser. Is this a Microsoft bug. I have tried Googling it and it says to look in trouble shooting, however I can't get past the first few pages for a search and the topic is not there.

I hope that someone can help as it is an extremely annoying problem.

Best Regards.

Edited by newbie geek, 13 November 2006 - 07:14 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Ah, ok. Just to clarify, are you able to open outlook express manually and send mail from it?

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thx for the reply, no problems with Outlook Express. The notebook is humming along just great.
Simply this irritating Error message.

Hope this helps.
As mentioned the computer has been checked for nasties, malware, viruses etc. and no problems. I have never had any of these as I have good security and update daily and scan daily.
Regards.