Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory How can I find out what it is

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I has given a whole box of sticks. Most of them have NO tags to tell what they are. But I did find a couple of 256 sticks that had tags. So I really don't want to throw these out until I know what they are.

How can I find out what the ones with out tags are?

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
You can:
Run the risk of burning out your motherboard by putting them in your motherboard if they are compatible. Make sure you know what you're doing before you try forcing sticks into your motherboard.
Or, try google. On the chips there will be manufacturer names/codes etc on the rectangular (usually) black parts of the chips. Simply type the model numbers into google, that might help.

Good luck!

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Run the risk of burning out your motherboard by putting them in your motherboard if they are compatible. Make sure you know what you're doing before you try forcing sticks into your motherboard.

This I would NEVER do that. I'm not looking to use any of these. But, I'm hoping to list some on ebay. If I find anything that might bring in a few bucks. Most of them were small (the ones with tags) 32mb and 64mb so I'm sure the rest or pretty old as well. But what sparked my interest was the 2 I found in the box that were 256. Maybe there is more but I will not know until I search and find out.

I have been tring to search the number on the sticks but I can't find anything YET

Thanks

Edited by duley3, 12 November 2006 - 10:32 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have 72 pin dram memory there will be a single break in the connectors to the motherboard, with 36 pins on each side of the break slot( there are 72 pins on each side). Generally these are PC66 and earlier memory.

The next type of memory that came out was the 168 pin sdram memory that came out in PC66, PC100, and PC133 flavors. These memory sticks had 2 slots in the bottom where they connected to the motherboard.The biggest ones made were the 512 Mb sticks and they were very scarce. Most of the time you find 128 Mb sticks and a few 256 MB sticks.

Intel decided to try ramming a different kind of memory down our throats with the RDRAM memory, and they got burned badly by that. This was so short lived and is so hard to find that i will skip it here. Suffice to say it was mostly known as PC800 memory and you had to run 2 sticks together or have a blanking stick that had no memory but did have the connections. What a nightmare.

Next up was the 184 pin DDR sdram sticks which went back to a single breaking slot on the bottom. It was noticable that there were more pins on one side of the break than the other. The flavors were PC1600, PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200.

And norw we are in the DDR2 and DDR3 which is 240 pins with a single break slot and uneven pin placement and starts with the DDR-533 name(AKA PC4200).

Now if you really want more information you need to look here for your answers.

http://bugclub.org/e...utermemory.html

SRX660

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thats what I was looking for....
thank for the info... and link