Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet explorer won't work

• Please log in to reply

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello all, I was very kindly directed here by Kurenai as I have an issue with my broadband. We are with BT and can open the yahoo broswer no problems. However, we can't get IE to work and this causes download problems when trying to download some stuff (for example widgets and the norton anti-virus that comes with our package. I think we are only currently running the windows firewall, but I may have norton firewall running also (although i cna't seem to find it)

Any suggestions? I have disabled the firewall but that doesn't help. If it is of any assistance, my task manager says it has been disabled by the administrator and the fix for it (running from the run program where you change the value to 0 or 1) hasn't helped but I think it is because we have tune-up-utilities on the computer?

Advertisements

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello all, just wanted to let you all know I have finally managed to sort out what the problem was. Just FYI (you brits with bt broadband) when you first go to your online protection center DO NOT download anything until you have uninstalled your current anti virus.

My Problem (which even the lovely people at BT (I am of course joking) could not help with) is that when we first setup, I inadvertently downloaded Norton Firewall (it comes free with our package.) It appears to have decided of its own volition to a)hide itself from me (thankfully the name 'symantec' rang a bell) and b) create its own exclusionary firewall rules for IE 6.

The reuslt of this was that the frewall was blocking everything outside of the Yahoo browser (as far as I can tell.)

The idiot from my service provider had no idea what was going on, it took an hour for one guy to figure out that it wasn't my broadband router or hub (despite my telling him several times that I was actually connected to my wireless connection via the Yahoo Broswer through my broadband hub and that was why I was able to follow his online intructions.) Aw well!!!