Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Laptop

• Please log in to reply

jennifer01605

jennifer01605

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:whistling: I have a Window XP based laptop. It suddenly is not booting up. I turn the power on and get a black screen, wait, and then end up having to power down. Last time a tried to power on I received a screen sayint that Windows failed to start properly ' start in Safe Mode' or 'Normally'. When it timed out in the start 'Normally' mode a line popped up saying "Windows could not start because the following filei s missing or corrupt" <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. ????? I powered off and tried to restart again and now I'm still just receiving the black screen???? Thanks for any help!

Edited by jennifer01605, 12 November 2006 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Since your laptop isn't booting into Windows at all, you will need to aquire a Windows XP Repair CD. This must be the same as your version, ie. XP Home or Professional.
If you're not entirely sure how to do this, it's effectively a step-by-step process with onscreen prompts but if you're still stuck just ask! Good luck!

jennifer01605

jennifer01605

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If I use this repair CD, will I lose anything that I currently have on my machine??

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
No, you will not. It is exactly as it says on the tin, it Repairs the Windows installation. Although you may lose the programs you have installed. Not the data(music, documents, videos, etc).
Although you may still be able to reinstall the programs through the Setup file for each program for their corresponding folder in the Program Files folder. Alas, if you've got the program installation disks there's no worries at all.

jennifer01605

jennifer01605

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:whistling: Okay, so I found this step-by-step guide from microsoft but wanted to make sure this is correct...
http://support.micro....com/kb/315341/

Would I use Method 2 steps?

I have the actual installed Windows XP CD. So, if I'm reading correctly, this disk would be the "repair cd"??

I just want to make sure that all these steps are correct. It says to hit enter to Install Windows XP... is this correct or do I want to hit R for restore console.

And...none of these steps should affect the files, pics, etc. currently on the laptop??? I'm so nervous that everything is going to "POOF" be gone!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Edited by jennifer01605, 12 November 2006 - 02:43 PM.