Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop and all exe gone

• Please log in to reply

Satva

Satva

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Geekstogo,

Please help me restore my desktop. It has vanished completely: no icons no start button or -menu, no taskbar , nothing except the picture of my five month old daughter. Taskmanager works though and shows processes running:

taskmgr.exe
ati2evxx.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
rundll32.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
ati2evxx.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
smss.exe
wdfmgr.exe
svchost.exe
System
Non active system processes

I can browse folders through the run command, but don't seem to be able to find any exe's to run apps.

This is also the case in safe mode.

I'd appreciate your help very much!

Advertisements

Satva

Satva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
also tried sfc /scannow; rebooted, no change
tried chkdsk /f /r : error saying something like unable to perform while volume is in use by another program (or something like that)

Satva

Satva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
use chkdsk /f /r at startup like proposed: it run up to step 2/5 checking indexes. Reported unknow error and proclaiming check completed.

Still no desktop.
I'm in trouble ain't I?

nemesis100

nemesis100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi there....did u manage to get the problem fixed? i have exactly the same one, it happened when i uninstalled imesh and the pc hung up halfway through the uninstall.

i would greatly appreciate your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot PC then keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose last known good configuration

nemesis100

nemesis100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi Keith thanks for the tip...but unfortunately it also didn't work :tazz:

i checked microsoft's site and they have an article about the same problem on Windows 2000 (article 256194) i tried the advice in this article even though i have XP pro with SP1 but alas...it also never worked as my root has none of the dll's in it that cause this problem

HELP!!!

israel_guy

israel_guy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

Releax. I've seen 2 Suspicious Procceces on your Task Manager. ati2evxx.exe and another ati2evxx.exe. Try to terminate them.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you have task manager click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press OK

Satva

Satva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

thanks for your replies. I tried removing the ati processes, which were actually the only processes I could terminate. Also the last known configuration did not help much, and using system restore point didn't restore anything.
Explore.exe seemed to have vanished, as did more exe files, e.g. all adobe program exe's.

I've turned to drastic mesures, backed up my files and... format C:

For the record i'd like to add that I had desktop.exe infection, tried to solve it using ad-aware in safe mode. Ad aware stopped half way. When i rebooted later on, the problem started.

israel_guy

israel_guy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

Sorry I Coulden't help you. Please post your Error in the Spyware Forum. AND POST THERE YOUR HIJACK THIS LOG TOO. A Trusted Helper will help you there.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I noticed explorer.exe was missing and hoped running it as a new task would show desktop

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
israel_guy,
just a FYI the ATI things are for ATI video cards.