Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

alineinasong

alineinasong

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright so I have an HP Pavillion ZV 5000 Laptop with a pentium 4 processor and 1 GB ram. I've had it for over a year and a half and it was working fine. This summer, one of my friends was playing the sims 2 on it and it randomly shut down. No big deal and it didn't happen again until recently when I was watching video online through windows media player.

Now, whenever I watch a video or play a game on the web (from shockwave.com or youtube.com or even watching streaming video in windows media player) my comp would shut down. I recently checked the taskmanager and found out that whenever I'm doing any of these things, the CPU spikes to 100% and stays there, which obviously isn't good for the computer. It isn't limited to a browser either, the problem occurs both in IE and in Firefox. The problem does not happen when I'm watching a DVD on my computer.

Before, I would have no problem running Adobe Photoshop, the SIMS, and AIM but now I can hardly do anything without fearing that its going to overheat and shut down. I was running Itunes and Photoshop (which I used to do very often without a problem) and again, the CPU spiked to 100% and stayed there for several minutes until I shut down Itunes.

One of my friends said getting it cleaned should help, but it really shouldn't be spiking to 100% and staying there if all I'm doing is watching a video. And I never had that kind of problem with it before. I also noticed when I was playing a game that it started out at 25% but as time wore on it started to get higher and higher so eventually I just closed out of it.

Any suggestions/help are greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check the ventilation slots are clear of fluff and debris. You can safely hold a vacuum-cleaner nozzle against them for a few secs to make sure they are clear (with the laptop unplugged and switched off -- stay safe). If no improvement, the internal fan and surrounding area could be clogged with fluff and debris as there is much less room to accomodate dust inside a laptop compared to a tower, consequently a small build-up can affect cooling drastically.
But I would advise against poking around inside even with it unplugged -- you may dislodge some vital component and be unable to fix it. professional laptop servicing is advised for anything other than a disk or memory replacement, especially if it's your main or only means of computing.

Edited by pip22, 12 November 2006 - 02:23 PM.