Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wirelsess internet connection

• Please log in to reply

tennistm

tennistm

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
My wife and I each have a PC. I have a internet broadband connection (Comcast)....she has no internet.
Is there someway my wife and I can share the internet connection without using wires or purchasing another internet broadband?
Is there a device we can purchase to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Tim

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
To achieve this you will need to buy a Wireless Modem Router. Nowadays you can pick one up for around £40. You will also need a compatible wireless network card for each computer.

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
To achieve this you will need to buy a Wireless Modem Router. Nowadays you can pick one up for around £40. You will also need a compatible wireless network card for each computer.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
To clarify, you need a Wireless Router, such as those made by Netgear, Dlink, Linksys, Belkin, and Buffalo (those tend to be safe, quality names to go with). It will be labeled something like, "Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router," or some such. You would also need one Wireless Adapter (either PCI or USB) for each computer that you would like to connect to the internet wirelessly. You don't need anything fancy, and there's no point (in your particular situation) to go with the super high speed, 80 billion mbps wireless routers that cost an arm and a leg, as it wouldn't change your internet access speed. You just need a basic model.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
In My opinion on experience with routers, NETGEAR is out my pick. It would drop my connection every 3 hours.

My current + best router is a LINKSYS WRT54G. very cheap too.

tennistm

tennistm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Thanks for the info....I don't know for sure if I already have some of the items you mentioned or not.

I have two PCs and one Laptop.
My one PC is hooked up to the internet (broadband). I have a router hooked up to it also (TrueMobile 2300).
I get the internet on my Laptop which is wireless.
I assume that the router I am currently using is sufficient....I would also assume that my internet PC must already have a network card. I don't know if the PC I want to add for internet has a network card...how do I tell? It is a Dell Dimension B110.

Thanks,
Tim

Armic

Armic

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi,
Your current router should be fine.
have a look at the ports on the router,(there are normally 5, one dedicated port which connects to the modem, & 4 ports for connecting pcs etc ). These are ethernet (rj45) ports, If your other pc has one of these ports, all you need is a network cable running from a port on the router to the other pc. Its very simple to set up the software. info below.
Alternatively, you could buy & fit a pci wireless network card to this pc, or use a wireless usb adapter which plugs into the usb port on the pc, these should both be supplied with setup instructions.

If you decide to use the cable, when you have connected it, go to your control panel of your wifes pc, choose
internet options, then setup, choose connect through a lan, same on the next page, choose auto discovery of proxy server on the next page, next, set up an email account if you want, then finish.
When you launch her browser, it should now connect.

Hope this helps.