Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading CPU and MotherBoard

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello

I'm wanting to upgrade my CPU and my mother board but I don't know where to start.
I have one of the worst CPUs it's a pentuim D 2.8GHZ dual core.I was wanting to know
If it's possible for me to upgrad to an AMD proccessor cause I heard they are better than
Pentuim for gaming.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
That's not a bad processor, actually. You can upgrade to anything you like, depending on how much you want to spend, and if you want to replace both the motherboard and processor.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Everybody is telling me Pentuim D is one of the worste processors let out by intel.
And when I play cod2 on full graphics I only get 70FPS and I have an X1900XTX
and I should run at full graphics with about 300 frames. People were telling me that it
was my CPU thats bad and I need to upgrade.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
A dual core 2.8 is really not that bad man.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Depending on your resolution, 70 FPS is right where you should be at max settings. You're not even going to see 300 FPS on COD2 with the new 8800 series unless you drop some serious graphical settings. So, if you just feel like upgrading, then Core 2 Duo is really your only option, but you'll probably see minimal game performance improvement since most games will still be GPU limited.

Edited by kidnova, 13 November 2006 - 03:35 PM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

A dual core 2.8 is really not that bad man.

It's a pentuim D!!
Thats what i'm trying to get accross.
Pentuim D sucks.
I'm wanting to know if I can upgrade to an AMD processor.
And if I can upgrade it an AMD do I need a New MoBo?

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103026

Would that be a good AMD processor?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Pentium D was the cruddy chip but dont let that detour you away from Intel. The core 2 duo is the best dual core chip out as of now. The conroes are really good and they are better than the amd dual core x2's. There is nothing wrong with the amd x2 chips as they are fast also but the e6600 conroe and above are even better performance. Your gpu has more to do with the graphics but from the pentium d to a conroe you will see an improvement right away. Even the E6300 lowest end conroe will beat the highest end pentium D 930 at everything... but I wouldnt get the E6300 in my personal opinion. Go for the E6600 if you can. :whistling:

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Pentium D was the cruddy chip but dont let that detour you away from Intel. The core 2 duo is the best dual core chip out as of now. The conroes are really good and they are better than the amd dual core x2's. There is nothing wrong with the amd x2 chips as they are fast also but the e6600 conroe and above are even better performance. Your gpu has more to do with the graphics but from the pentium d to a conroe you will see an improvement right away. Even the E6300 lowest end conroe will beat the highest end pentium D 930 at everything... but I wouldnt get the E6300 in my personal opinion. Go for the E6600 if you can. :whistling:

Ok can you give me a link to that processor and would I have to upgrade my Mother board.
Or something cause it could be a different slot type I hear.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Ok can you give me a link to that processor and would I have to upgrade my Mother board.
Or something cause it could be a different slot type I hear.

Upgrade your Motherboard, yes, and more than likely RAM too, as I *believe* Core 2 Duos require DDR2 RAM, so DDR RAM, which you probably have, won't work. (Can someone verify this?)

As for links:
http://www.newegg.co...SubCategory=343

That contains all the Core 2 Duos Newegg sells (for desktops).

--bmwboy

Advertisements

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115003

So would that be a good CPU and I got 3 gigs of Ram and i'm already on a dual core
So I believe I have DDR2.
And with that CPU upgrade would I have to upgrade my MotherBoard?

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115003

So would that be a good CPU and I got 3 gigs of Ram and i'm already on a dual core
So I believe I have DDR2.
And with that CPU upgrade would I have to upgrade my MotherBoard?

And that CPU is 2.3GHZ and the one I have now is 2.8
Does that really make a difference?

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
In general, Core 2 Duos will be much faster than Pentium Ds, no matter the clock speed difference. Can I have the model number of your current Motherboard, as I think Core 2 Duos require a new chipset.

--bmwboy

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
How would I gete the Modle Number and yes I do now have a Core Duo
As I said about 3 times.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yes they require socket 775 although there are some like the one I have that are for socket 478. Although if you're system is new you should have a socket 775 motherboard if you do you're motherboard supports all Intel cpus