Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sharing a printer

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
my desktop has win xp home, and my laptop has winxp pro
my desktop is connected to my printer which is an hp deskjet and i do have a router (belkin) and a cable modem.

my desktop is connected to the router which in turn is connected to the modem. i also have a roomate who also has a laptop and both of us are wirelessly connected to the internet.
My network adaper is also belkin.

Now that i have that covered, i am tryin to connect my laptop to my printer wirelessly, so that i can be in the living room and send stuff to my printer, or even access files on my computer.

I tried the xp networking wizard thing, but it did not work. Can anyone assist me as to how to do this?

I tried to be as detailed as possible.

Do i have to install the printer drivers onto my laptop also?? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, i do not want him to have access to my printer or to my files on my pc. is that also possible?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just share the printer on the desktop it is attached to and then on the laptop go to add printer and choose network printer and then browse for the printer on that computer. Both computers need to be on the same workgroup to be able to see each other.

And there is no way to just share the printer to the one wireless laptop. both would have access to it.

Also, your friend will not have access to files on your laptop unless you share the folders that those files are in.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 November 2006 - 05:41 PM.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i tried to do that on my laptop but i could not find the printer

i went to add a printer, then i clicked :network printer, or a printer attached to another computer, then i tried browsing, but my printer does not show up..

so right now i went back and on the options connect to a printer, in the box provided i typed \\server\printername that option didnt work

in the url box, i typed
http://server/printe...rinter/.printer that option didnt work

thank u for the quick reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you sure you are SHARING the printer on the desktop? If not then you won't be able to connect to it with the laptop.

Fenor

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
to share a printer, dont i get into control panel, click printers and faxes, right click, select properties then enable the share the printer thing??

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
yup, if you have done that, then the picture of a hand will appear underneath the icon for your printer. If that is showing, then most likely the two computers are not in the same workgroup.

Fenor

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
im likin this message baord more and more... u get fast effective replies

well yeah i do have a hand under the printer... im guessin i need to make it be in the same workgroup... how do i accomplish that?

thank you

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
To check your Workgroup, go to Control Panel -> System, and click the Computer Name tab.

The big thing to check, though, is: Do you have any firewall software installed on either computer, and if so, is your local network set up as "Trusted"?

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yup, i got zonealarm installed on both

the laptop and the pc has the same workgroup name

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is Zonealarm set like this on both

[attachment=11669:attachment]

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Personally, configuring zone alarm (admittedly over the phone, and it's a product I know nothing about) is confusing as [bleep], so you might find #2 here helpful:

http://www.zonelabs....zasc/faqs.jsp#2

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
thank u for that link.. i will read it and tell you all the results

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok i have set both to the trusted zone thing. What steps do i take from here?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you changed anything in ZA to get the trusted zone set then it should go as per post 2 now

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
what should go as per post 2?