Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot up, at all.

• Please log in to reply

Mpalze

Mpalze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,
I have a desktop HP, with windows XP. Last night, I was using the computer. It locked up. Then it restarted on it's own, and took me to the screen where it says "Start in safe mode", "Start in safe mode with networking", "Start in safe mode with command prompt", and "start in normal mode". I've tried the three safe mode start ups, and nothing. A bunch of lines scroll by, saying something about partitions and drivers, and then it tries to restart, and takes me back to the same screen. When I try to start in normal mode, I get a grey dashed line across the bottom, which then gradually turns in to a solid grey line. The computer then reboots(goes to the windows start up screen), stops, flashes some message so fast that I can't read it(something about a problem), and then goes to the "start in safe mode" screen. While starting up, the hard drive light does come on, but I can not hear it running.

Please don't tell me my hard drive died. :whistling:

But if it did, can anyone recommend a good place to send it to get the data recovered? I've got tons of family photos and mp3's on it.

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisements

burnoutnotfadeaway

burnoutnotfadeaway

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
No need to pay the ridiculous prices some people will charge to recover your data. If it is dead, simply hook it up to another computer and run GetDataBack - available from http://www.runtime.org/downloads.htm

Bear in mind you will need to know your file format for the hard drive, whether it's NTFS or FAT32, I would presume it wa NTFS.

Have you tried to reinstall Windows using the recovery cd? Try that and see if there's any change...

Mpalze

Mpalze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll have to try that, once I get another desktop.

My computer didn't come with a Recovery CD. Not sure why. :whistling: