Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't install a printer....

• Please log in to reply

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi.

I did something stupid recently, I downloaded one of those registry cleaners, and I think it cleaned a little more than just the registry. After uninstallation and applying the old registry with the backup .reg file, I have one remaining problem, I can't seem to print. I had a printer installed before and now I don't, and it won't let me add a printer, all it says is "Operation could not be completed. The printer spool service is not running." I googled the problem and came across a few things, but they didn't really help (or maybe I'm bad at following directions :blink: ). Is there anyone that can kindly help me? I really need this printer for my university work.

Thanks!! :whistling:

p.s. also, when I stick in the CD associated with the printer, nothing happens. When I double click on the CD drive, nothing happens. But I just used the CD a month ago to install the printer.....

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I would suggest a system restore

runbox command
- press the buttons: winkey + r button
- paste this to slot: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
- press: enter
- choose a date prior to the problem

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for responding. I've tried that before and just tried again, and it tells me it can't restore the system and no changes have been made.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
since system restore is out, what about repair with XPcd

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I'm actually curious about something. Try this: Go to Start -> Run, and type in services.msc, hit enter. In the list of services, see if Print Spooler is listed. If not, then yeah, repair install of Windows. If it is, double click on it, click Start, then set Startup type to Automatic, hit Apply, hit OK, restart, and try to print.

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried the services.msc, but when I clicked start it brought up the following error:

Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Should I do the XP CD (although my system's weird, it didn't come with a CD, a card came saying everything I needed was on my own computer)?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited by amadeh_baash, 12 November 2006 - 10:01 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Ouch, yeah, it sounds like the service is corrupt. A repair might do it, and from the sound of it, you would have to do what's called a Non-destructive system restore from the computer itself. Before anything that drastic, though, try posting this in the Windows XP forum, and see if anyone has any ideas about fixing the service. There may just be a quick and easy fix that we don't know about (I'm more of a format and reinstall when something goes wrong person, myself).

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK thank you very much!