Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buy a core 2 duo now or will Athlon beat the Core 2 Duo?

• Please log in to reply

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've been patiently waiting to upgrade my P4 2.0. I have my eye on a Core 2 duo E6600 processor for my new PC. My question is: Will Athlon have something better in the next 6 months or should I take the plunge now? I am also a gamer and I know direct x10 is coming out soon. Will there be a New generation of Graphics cards for direct x10? I would rather get all the next generation hardware all at onetime.

thanks

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I don't know if there is a new athlon coming out, but even if it does the price will be high like all other processors are at first so you might have to wait more than 6 months.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
And for the graphic cards there already are graphic cards that run on directX10 such as this one

http://www.tigerdire...a...&CatId=2513

Edited by SOORENA, 12 November 2006 - 08:49 PM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Personally, I'd wait til early next year, when the quad cores drop, and everything else experiences a sharp drop in price.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
1. No way am I paying $800 for a video card. lol.

2. Quad cores? Are they for servers only? I cant find anything about these for desktops.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Wow Tigerdirect is over priced on newegg that card is only like 649 or something. here is one for 660 with Dark Messiah also so its rele 650. Nvidia 8800GTX

Edited by Drumbum667, 13 November 2006 - 09:12 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The Nvidia cards are out but they have only released the highest end cards they have(more money in those ones for them). Quad cores are only just coming out now from intel and they arent tru quad cores just two duals on one chip. The true quad cores from AMD and Intel come out first or second quarter of next year. Cheaper DX10 cards will also be coming out between now and christmas, ATI are releasing dx10 next week or the week after supposedly, and i would personally go for an ATI as they seem to have a tech edge.

Edited by warriorscot, 13 November 2006 - 05:39 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I was just using tigerdirect to show that the graphic cards are out, I never buy stuff from there.

Edited by SOORENA, 13 November 2006 - 02:51 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I agree with warriorscot. And I tihnk you made a mistake in your post. ou wrote "The true dual cores from AMD and Intel come out first or second quarter of next year.' I tihnk you meant the first quad cores. Ya if you want a DX10 wait for ATI's it seems to me they have a little bit better cards. One is because they're using gddr4 memory and Nvidia is using gddr3.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
When dealing with technology, and computers specifically, there will always be something better out within 6 months. It's just a fact of life. The question is how bad you need the upgrade. Yes, AMD will release something early next year to compete with Core 2 and yes, the price of Conroe processors will drop, but something newer and better than the new thing will be just around the corner.

If it were me, I'd consider waiting until closer to Christmas when they really start slashing prices in order to meet their year end goals.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I looked back (in my head) at the processors over the years. I'm glad I did not jump on this athlon 64 (first gen) or the pentium H/T (hyper threading?) stuff. It appears this core 2 duo should last a while and is a significant jump in power. I will con't to tread water until early spring.

thx

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I looked back (in my head) at the processors over the years. I'm glad I did not jump on this athlon 64 (first gen) or the pentium H/T (hyper threading?) stuff. It appears this core 2 duo should last a while and is a significant jump in power. I will con't to tread water until early spring.

thx

I would go ahead and go for a core 2 duo Conroe chip. They are fast and great chips and will be plenty fast enough for a couple years. Games will be getting more GPU dependant than they already are will all of this directx10 architecture coming out. If your a gamer go for atleast a E6600 then get a Directx10 compliant video card which 2 are already available. If you dont get a directx10 video card right now then get a mid end like a 7600gt which are cheap and will do the job then when the windows vista comes out you can go ahead and get a new directx10 video card if you wanted and take advantage of the future in graphics. Only Windows Vista will have directx10..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The first gen A64s came out a long time ago and were and are still great buys, core2 wont last long power wise they are really pushing the quad cores, AMD arent releasing anything to compete with the core2s they are going straight to quad core architectures, there might be some when they get the 65nm fab at gull capacity but all the development has really gone on quad core the core2 is largely a byproduct from intels striving towards quad core and to remove the flaws from the P4s.