Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open a webpage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bcheckov

bcheckov

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:whistling:

I am baffled by a problem that has persisted for over a week. I can open all kinds of web pages except the one my school system uses for online courses (Blackboard). I can open Blackboard at school, but not from my computer at home. I have tried my husband's computer and I still get the same problem. I have tried various solutions and the only thing I have encountered is a damaged file called HTMLEdit Class. Have you ever heard of this and if so, what do I do to install it correctly? Is it possible that this one file could make it impossible for Blackboard to open?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BCheckov

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
What browser are you using? Sometimes, sites only are able to be viewed with IE or Firefox.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Another thing to note is that some sites are only able to be accessed from a specific location. Are you certain that you are supposed to be able to see this site from home?

bcheckov

bcheckov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:whistling:
I use IE and just installed IE7 yesterday. I had been accessing this page from both home and work without any problems until last weekend. Then all I get is the "cannot open webpage" message. It is the only page I have found that I cannot open. And it is the same whether it is my computer or my husband's.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I concur with Kurenai. Have you asked your instructor about whether it's restricted?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have you cleared the temporary internet files?
What security software are you using? Chek the privacy settings it applies. Internet Security Suites do change Privacy settings when they update sometimes and this can lock you out of sites. Norton is especially good at doing this.

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
hey
i appear to be having the same problem as you bcheckov :whistling:

bcheckov

bcheckov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:help: :whistling: :rofl: :) :blink:

I found out what happened, but I still am not sure why. Anyway, my router was faulty. I restarted the router and the webpage came right up. Now the curious thing is why was that ONE webpage affected?

I tracked down the problem by bringing in my computer to school and using their network setting, I was able to open Blackboard just fine. So I contacted my Internet server to see if they had a problem with the webpage. They hadn't blocked it , but suggested checking the router. I just tried to restart it to see what would happen and that is when everything was fixed. Easy and painless. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
So sorry about all the trouble but glad it was resolved. :whistling: Thanks for letting us know. We like to know the final outcome, good or bad. :blink:

To prevent others from starting new questions in this thread, I am closing it. If youa re the topic starter and need it reopened, please PM a staff member. :help: