Seagate 160GB Drive Problem
Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:11 PM
Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:00 AM
So, to synopsize the problem, it sounds like it is just the drive that is not working, the rest of the computer works fine?
If that's the case, possible problems:
1. Power connector to the drive is fried.
2. Power connector on the drive itself is fried.
3. IDE cable bad.
4. IDE port, hard drive side is bad.
5. IDE port, motherboard side is bad.
6. It's dead, Jim.
So, first thing I would try is a different power lead. Next, unplugging the IDE cable, and see if the light behaves differently.
Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:35 AM
meaning no reaction whatsoever when pressing the on button
btw ditto = 'connect computer to the mains, switch the computer on, if no joy do the following'
the steps then
(use normal keyboard and mouse)
(important, if unsure, download and read the motherboard's manual)
- check that the plug on the wall is switch on and the computer's powersupply cable is plugged in
- powersupply, disconnect power supply cable from the computer the reconnect it,
- swap the power supply cable for another
- open computer and swap the power switch or disconnect it and jump the pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver, the jump takes a split second to do
- reseat the ram bars, swap with working ones
- disconnect cdrom drives, usb stuff, etc., only leave harddrive connected
- swap hard drive
that leaves only the motherboard or the processor and the question of which, and whether it's worth getting new ones
Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:25 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users