Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate 160GB Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
All of a sudden I see this large spark from behind me and my whole computer shuts off. I reset the power and everytime I turn off the drive the green light comes on and everytime I turn it on it doesn't come on. The 160GB drive doesnt work or show up anymore on my computer. What could be the problem?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
At a guess - motherboard fried and therefore dead.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Well, it sounds like the computer is still starting, since he mentions that the drive doesn't show up.

So, to synopsize the problem, it sounds like it is just the drive that is not working, the rest of the computer works fine?

If that's the case, possible problems:

1. Power connector to the drive is fried.
2. Power connector on the drive itself is fried.
3. IDE cable bad.
4. IDE port, hard drive side is bad.
5. IDE port, motherboard side is bad.
6. It's dead, Jim.

So, first thing I would try is a different power lead. Next, unplugging the IDE cable, and see if the light behaves differently.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
dead computer check list
meaning no reaction whatsoever when pressing the on button
btw ditto = 'connect computer to the mains, switch the computer on, if no joy do the following'

the steps then
(use normal keyboard and mouse)
(important, if unsure, download and read the motherboard's manual)
- check that the plug on the wall is switch on and the computer's powersupply cable is plugged in
(ditto)
- powersupply, disconnect power supply cable from the computer the reconnect it,
(ditto)
- swap the power supply cable for another
(ditto)
- open computer and swap the power switch or disconnect it and jump the pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver, the jump takes a split second to do
(ditto)
- reseat the ram bars, swap with working ones
(ditto)
- disconnect cdrom drives, usb stuff, etc., only leave harddrive connected
(ditto)
- swap hard drive
(ditto)
that leaves only the motherboard or the processor and the question of which, and whether it's worth getting new ones

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
none of that worked, i still got my warranty I am going to send it back for a new one, losing 40 GB, but its only games