Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot access the internet?

• Please log in to reply

xxsilvergtxx

xxsilvergtxx

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
im following the walk through that spacecowboy posted. and it says post "cannot access the internet" if the internet browser doesnt work after going through the physicalsetup instructions. well here iam, any tips for what i can do? thanks, Rich

Advertisements

xxsilvergtxx

xxsilvergtxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
anyone?..

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Hello SilverGT,

In order to get this problem solved, we need to know a little more about your current setup.

1. What kind of connection do you have? (Dialup/DSL/Cable)
2. How is the connection setup? (Straight to the modem/Going through a router(Connected by an Cat5/Ethernet Cable or Wireless) (If DSL/Cable))
3. How is the computer setup to work with the connection?

If you can post back with as much info as you can, this will help with getting this solved.

xxsilvergtxx

xxsilvergtxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it is a dsl connection. i have it set up the way the cd tells me to. i have my internet connection going from modem to the router. then a cat 5 (that came with router) from the back of my desktop to a spot on the back of the router (#1-4)

heres some more info from a previous post

Ok. this is my first attempt at setting up a wireless connection. i got a linksys wireless router. i put the cd in, and follow all the instuctions on how to hook everything up. i have all the lights lit up and everything. but when the cd is configuring the router (after i enter my ip addy, subnet mask, etc). an error message comes up saying "router config. error".

but if i ignore that message and leave everything the way it is, my brothers laptop works wirelessly and i dont have any connection on the PC.

but then, if i switch the cables (take the one thats connected PC to router and change it PC to modem) the PC works, then i lose wireless.

any help would be great.. ive been searching and found info about ipconfig in dos and tried random stuff and still lost. Thanks, Rich

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Could you post the model number of your router?

xxsilvergtxx

xxsilvergtxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
model # is WRT54G.. sorry it took so long.. i was @ my 2nd job

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Thats no problem about being long to reply. Could you do one more thing for me.

Could you run the Command Prompt:

Start > Run > and type cmd

When you get the Command Prompt it should look like this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\(AccountName)>

I would like you to type ipconfig /all

Doing so will list a lot of information of the devices. I would like you to copy that information here, or if you like you can PM it to me if you dont want that info to be shared. To copy from the Command Prompt:

Right-Click > Select All > and press Enter

Doing this will save the information to the Clipboard. Then just paste(Ctrl+V) it here on in a PM to me.

xxsilvergtxx

xxsilvergtxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sent pm.. thanks for the help so far

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Looking at the ipconfig /all you sent me, I believe the way to fix this problem is if we reset and configure the router manually. Before we do this lets make sure that you have all the information needed to get the router in working order. Here are a list of things you will need to have before the reseting of the router:

1. Copy down the current wireless key that is being used.
2. Copy down the information of the DSL.(Username/Password)

To find this information we will need to enter the router setup. To do this:

Open Internet Explorer > Enter 192.168.1.1 in the address field

You will be ask for a Username and Password, Linksys routers dont use Usernames only passwords. So enter admin or if you have changed the password, then enter the current password. The DSL information will be on the very first page that loads up (Basic Setup). To get the current wireless key:

Wireless > Wireless Security

Write down the options selected for Security Mode, and Key.

Before I give the step-by-step on configuring the router, please post back letting me know that you have this information. If you are having trouble finding this information please post back.

xxsilvergtxx

xxsilvergtxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks!! iam currently at work.. then head to my 2nd job after that :whistling: but i will check that out later tonight and get back with you, Rich

edit: quick question.. how are you wanting me to access that? when the wireless is only working on the laptop and not the pc.. or only working on the pc not the laptop?.. the only way ill be able to enter my ip and get all that info is if i just have it set up before i ever did anything with the router and have my modem connected to the back of the pc

Edited by xxsilvergtxx, 14 November 2006 - 11:10 AM.

Advertisements

xxsilvergtxx

xxsilvergtxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
when i did that ipconfig /all, was i supposed to look that up with everything wired up correctly? i did it while i had it hooked up from the modem to the pc?

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Not having access to the Internet, will not effect you from being able to enter the router.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
So, when you did the ipconfig /all your where connected to the modem alone?

xxsilvergtxx

xxsilvergtxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yeah i just realized that. im stupid when it comes to computers.. im sorry. ill send you an ipconfig/all when i get home and have the router hooked up.. sorry i wasted your time

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Stupid, no. Learning, Yes. The only way we can learn is if you we mistakes. You are in no way wasting my time, I enjoy helping others with their computer problems.