Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corrupted spool service?

• Please log in to reply

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi.

I was told to check here from the hardware forum.

http://www.geekstogo...er-t138306.html

I can't install a printer because it says that my spool service is not running, and under services.msc, when I click start, it brings up the following error:

Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Does anyone have any ideas or should I just repair?

Thanks in advance :whistling:

Edited by amadeh_baash, 12 November 2006 - 10:15 PM.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Try this:

1. Click Start, Run and type Regedit
2. Navigate to the following branch:
3. Backup the branch to a REG file. Use the File, Export option to do so.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler

4. In the right-pane, look for "DependOnService"
5. Be sure it's value data reads "RPCSS"
5. If not double click on "DependOnService" and set its data as "RPCSS" (without the quotes)
6. Close Regedit
7. Restart Windows.

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

The value for the key you mentioned is listed as:

LexBceS
RPCSS

Should I change it to only "RPCSS"?

Thanks again.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Was there at some time a Lexmark printer installed on the PC?

LexBceS is a reference to Lexmark MarkVision.

If you have exported the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler (export by clicking on the key "Spooler", go to file, click on "export", and save with the "File Name" Spooler. I have created a folder in the My Documents folder called "Regedit Backups" where I save exported registry keys).

Go ahead and change the data value to just RPCSS and reboot. If something should go wrong and I don't think it will, you can go to where you saved the Spooler key and return it to the registry.

Leftover registry entries from printer uninstalls can interfere with the Spooler Service.

If you don't already have CCleaner installed on your computer, you may want to download and install the program.

Download here: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

Run CCleaner and click on "Issues". This will scan your registry for any problems. Delete any entries that pertain to Lexmark printer. Before you delete any registry entries, CCleaner will ask you if you want to backup the deletions, click "Yes".

You should be able to start the Spooler Service and install your printer.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
amadeh_baash

One more thing. Since the Spooler Service depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service, be sure it is started and set to automatic. I'm pretty sure it is already started because almost all other services depend on it being started.

Wouldn't hurt to check anyway.

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for all your help!

I changed it, and now the spool service is working, but I still can't use the printer. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but whenever I try it brings up the following error:

The specified print monitor is unknown.

And it says it was unable to install.

Also, just a note, I have both the RPC service and an RPC locator service. The RPC service is started and automatic but the locator is stopped. Should I start it?

Thanks again for your help.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Very good. At least we got the Print Spooler Service functional again. As far as the RPC Locator Service, it does not need to be started. You may want to set it on manual and not disabled though.

I take it you were able to uninstall the printer software, is this so? If you were able to uninstall the printer software, run CCleaner's "Issues" function and delete all registry entries relating to said software (including any printer references from previous printer installations) before trying to reinstall the software.

Sometimes leftover registry entries can interfere with the reinstall of the software.

You wouldn't happen to be trying to install a Hewlett-Packard LaserJet printer by any chance?

I need to know if this is the first printer ever installed on your system or was another installed previous to the one you are currently trying to install? This will help in trying to get your current printer installed and working.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
amadeh_baash[b]

Need to know one other thing, check in services and see if you have a service "LEXbce server". If so see if it has been disabled.

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Very good. At least we got the Print Spooler Service functional again. As far as the RPC Locator Service, it does not need to be started. You may want to set it on manual and not disabled though.

I take it you were able to uninstall the printer software, is this so? If you were able to uninstall the printer software, run CCleaner's "Issues" function and delete all registry entries relating to said software (including any printer references from previous printer installations) before trying to reinstall the software.

Sometimes leftover registry entries can interfere with the reinstall of the software.

You wouldn't happen to be trying to install a Hewlett-Packard LaserJet printer by any chance?

I need to know if this is the first printer ever installed on your system or was another installed previous to the one you are currently trying to install? This will help in trying to get your current printer installed and working.

Hi Kniht,

I forgot to mention....my printer's a Dell Photo Printer 720....I don't ever remember installing a Lexmark.

That LEXbce server you mentioned is disabled.

I already ran CCleaner and ran it again just in case. It still brings up the same error when I'm trying to install (specified print monitor is unknown). Currently I'm trying to install the hardware and software both. It says "new hardware found" and asks for a CD, but when I put in the CD it brings up the error. So I get nothing on my computer, neither the hardware nor software.

I installed this same printer before and had no problems until I used that registry tool.

Also, right now I am remotely connected to a cluster printer at my university (I don't know if I'm saying that correctly) but that has never interfered before. In fact, even before I connected to that one I tried installing this printer, and it didn't work.

Thanks so much for your patience and help.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Dell and Lexmark are kind of one in the same, start the LEXbce server service set to automatic. See if you can install the printer.

amadeh_baash

amadeh_baash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Dell and Lexmark are kind of one in the same, start the LEXbce server service set to automatic. See if you can install the printer.

:whistling:

It's working!!!!! WOWWWWW thank you soooo much, you have no idea how much you've helped me.

I really appreciate all your time and effort in helping me fix this. Thank you soooo much.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
You're very welcome, amadeh_baash, glad the problem is solved. I have had a lot of help from fine folks in this forum and am happy I can return the favor.

A little patience and some figuring, most problems can be solved.

Edited by Kniht, 13 November 2006 - 06:51 PM.