Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Question - How to]Set a password for a folder

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Is there anyway to set a password for a folder, let's say "My Pictures" so that no one can go in and see my pictures without the password?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Set a password on your user account, therefore nothing is viewable unless you're logged into it.

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Usually I let my friends use my account so as not to create too much accounts just for my friends. Currently having 3 accounts is already adding a lot of extra files and eating up the space. Lol.

I'm just wondering if there's any way to stop them from viewing files that I do not want them to see.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Make sure that their accounts do not have admin access. Next right click on the folder, go to properties, and set the Hidden bit (check the box). That -should- do it. Log into one of their accounts, and see if you can see the folder. Of course, they could probably see it via the View Hidden Files and Folders toggle, Windows security really isn't, but it might work, if your account has admin privs, and theirs are only limited or guest.

Other than that, encrypt the folder.

Just checked - the win2k security tab is neat, but may require you to be part of a domain. When I get home to my xp machine, I'll check there, and see what other options are available.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
they won't open what they won't find

http://www.fixmyxp.c...nt/view/187/40/

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
That's actually pretty cool. What happens if they view the tree in list view? Is it still there, or just a blank line?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry, I posted this in wrong thread, no I have no idea what happens because I have never needed it myself, I will try it out too

Edited by fleamailman, 13 November 2006 - 06:49 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
XP Home does not have encryption capability. Pro does.
Johanna