Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drivers Are A Motherboards Best Friend

• Please log in to reply

fractle7

fractle7

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:blink: Hi all. I formatted my hard drive and reloaded windows xp pro. :help: I didnt take care to back up my drivers :rofl: So I would like any guidence toward getting my system back up to speed. I dont have the motherboard disc, I was told that i need to. I went to the "asus" site and got lost in the lingo a bit :) So any clues anyone. :whistling:

This was written on the m/board :- P4S800 MSXE.

Processor Id:- x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2660Mhz
X86 based PC

Bios Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1007.008.12/19/2005[u]

Kind Regards Fractle7 :rofl:

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Wow, that's incredibly lucky that the model number was actually written on the board. It's a convention that hasn't quite caught on, on all fronts.

Alright, it's an asus board, sure enough, that's one of their model numbers. The S in the model is for "SiS," and that would be the chipset manufacturer.

Handy guide to most asus model numbers: P4 (processor) S (chipset) 800 (front side bus). Also in that series were the P4P800, P indicating an intel chipset.

Anything with a P4 and an 800 Mhz front side bus was socket 478, so...oh, bother, you can't link directly to a downloads page at asus.
Go here:
http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us
In the three dropdown menus on the right, tell it, in order:
Motherboard
Socket 478
P4S800 MS XE

and hit search. You need the SiS AGP Driver V5.1.2600.2180 for Windows 64bit XP/2003., SiS PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Driver V1.18 for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP(WHQL)/2003. for ethernet, and Realtek ALC655 AC'97 Audio Driver V3.66 for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP(WHQL)/2003. for sound. If you're using the onboard video, grab the SiS graphics Display Driver V3.65 98/ME/2000/XP/2003(WHQL).

If you need updates for those, find them at www.sis.com/download
They're labeled much the same, except maybe the sound driver, and the AGP is labeled AGP(GART).

On a side note, does it bother anyone else that SiS chipsets aren't sophisticated enough to need drivers for little things like the System Management Bus?

fractle7

fractle7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again you are an exelent human being and I thank you for that wealth (to me) of information so freely given.

Kind Regards Fractle7

Ps Ill let you know how i went to close the thread, thanks again, Cya later.

fractle7

fractle7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:whistling: This thread is done thanks to the info you GAVE me. :blink:

Kind Regards fractle7 :help: