Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CMOS Checksum Error/PC turns itself off

• Please log in to reply

natman87

natman87

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I recently put together some parts for the first time. All was going well. Then the first time I turned it on I got the CMOS Checksum Error . It would go to "verifying ini files" at which time I would turn it off. Now the computer only turns on when it wants to. And when it does it probably won't stay on for long. It seems if you leave it for a day or so, then turn it on, it will stay on for a few minutes (enough to go into bios etc). Then if you keep turning it on it gets worse and worse. Every time it turns on the CMOS Checksum Error appears. Often the PC would turn itself on after switching off and on the power at the wall.

My thoughts:

The CMOS battery may be dead. I bought the motherboard brand new. But it would have been old stock (socket 754 mobo!). Then it sat around unopened for a few months at home before I used it. Could the battery have gone dead? I tried replacing it with another battery I had from an old mobo. Nothing changed (tho I'm not 100% sure of the condition of this replacement battery).

A question - how well does the battery sit in it's socket? It seems even after you latch it into place it is still slightly moveable. Is this meant to be?

I have loaded optimized defaults in the bios which didn't help.

I unplugged everything that wasn't needed for POST (sata hdd, floppy, dvd rom). Didn't help.

If anyone can help with some guidance, it would be much appreciated. My parts are:

Sempron 2600+ skt 754 (bought brand new)
MSI K8MM3 (bought brand new)
Antec Overture II with stock psu (secondhand but saw working)
512mb kingmax tiny bga (secondhand)

Thanks!

**edit**
I just read the sticky up the top (troubleshooting guide for building pc). I'll try and make use of those suggestions. Of course any extra help would still be great.

Edited by natman87, 13 November 2006 - 07:23 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I suspect you mean the guide at http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html
And yes, this is a good place to start. Good luck!

natman87

natman87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a new problem now. Last night the power went off. The power box on the outside of the house automatically switched it off (it's got a surge arrestor or whatever it is). It happened while I was working on the pc. I think I might have pulled out the power cord from the power supply while the power was still on (forgot!). Now this morning the computer won't turn on at all. Have I fried the power supply?

natman87

natman87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It turned on again.

I didn't install motherboard risers which no doubt hasn't helped me. I jumped in a bit too quick. Not enough reading and research. Will have another go and see what happens.

natman87

natman87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I installed the mobo properly with the risers. Now I have no probs. I reset the cmos and loaded optimized defaults and now the CMOS checksum error is gone. I can proceed to install the other parts and load windows! (hopefully)