Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sleep mode issues...

• Please log in to reply

grassi

grassi

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
im not sure what happend, but i have a fairly new or should i say rarely used computer. I try to keep as much programs as i cn off and also have done some cleaning at tech support forum in their hft log forum. Anyways lately i have noticed my computer is always grinding at night (i notice this cause im tryin to sleep.lol) also when i leave it on its suppose to go into sleep mode, it goes into it for a second sometimes a min. but then turns back on. This happens every time i let it go into sleep mode, and im sure that it cant be good for the computer going in and out like that, it must be wearing the parts. My cpu is 2 years old and recently upgraded the ram, also this was never a problem before also my girlfriend states that when she logs off it does the same thing in standbye mode. It wont stay in sleep or stand bye mode. Any idea what could cause this? Is there even settings for sleep mode and standbye mode that maybe i messed up somehow?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
HP Pavillion; a735w= AMD Athlon XP, 2100 MHz,1.43 Gb (10.5 x 200) 3000+ im running windows xp and the computer is 2 years old. Sorry about that info i have more info if needed. Actually i just use a past post in here where i used everest. lol. thanks for your time. Ooh i shut down in standbye mode but when i got home my cpu was on and the desktop was being displayed. ayayayayaya.

Edited by grassi, 13 November 2006 - 03:20 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
to test startups as cause of the posting problem

first:
- disconnect the computer from the internet

run command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste into slot: msconfig
- press: enter
- click tab: startups
- record which one are in use later restoring
- disable all of them
- click: apply
- click: ok
- click: restart computer

after the abvoe, if the computer stays in hibanation overnight, you know that it is one of your programs that is doing this and not the system itself

re'enable startsup before going back onto the internet to reply here

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
hhmm okay i can do this with a little help, im a noob but not completely.lol. !st i disconnect from internet, how? unplug something, i use cable so i assume thats what you mean? Then run command ? Im not to sure what winky + is? As for the rest i think i can manage except "- record which one are in use later restoring " not sure what you mean there either? Thanks for your reply.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
no problem, sometimes I pitch a little too high,

first:
- disconnect the computer from the internet
(for example we don't wan to be connected to the internet when you have turned off your protection) so if you have a line going to the telephone pug unbranch it. The power you can leave connected

On your keyboard do you see a button that looks like the windows flag, that is the winkey and you know where the r button is so press the winkey first then while it is held down press the r button, that pops up the runbox(the new windows appears marked 'run')
in the runbox slot type: msconfig
(the msconfig window appears)
click: startup
(that is the tab to the far right)
right hand click on a button: disable all
(all the green tick marks will disapear)
click apply
agree to reboot the computer
when the computer has rebooted put it into hibanation

the idea is just to see if it is one of those programs that is causing this, you will either come back to me with 'nothing happened' meaning it is a program, or the computer will come out of hibanation meaning it is windows itself which is doing it

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
i just dont get this disconnect my computer to the internet? I have a modem and i get my internet through my cable? Should i unplug my cable wire going into my wall form my modem? Is the idea to get the 2 computers icon in system tray to appear, telling me i have no connection? theres also an option to check diagnostic startup when i look at msconfig?

Edited by grassi, 13 November 2006 - 08:59 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, ignore as it is not important, the idea was unplug the cord from the computer to the modem to play safe(I didn't want your computer connected to the internet while you had diesabled the protection installed), leave it connected then. Have you understood the startups thing I mentioned, once disabling the startups and putting you computer in sleepmode has it woken up by itself yet

My hunch is that it is probably one of your programs, probably your antivirus doing some sort of check of the system, which antivirus are you using?

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
okay just got home im gonna work on it, and i will be back to let ya know, I use norton anti virus, but i have had that this whole time and i was able to put it in standbye or even sleep before with no problems, so like you said i will check to see if its a startup program. (as you think it might be). Thanks again i appreciate your time, ill b back

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
good luck, it is only a test, not a cure but it should point us to the source.

Advertisements

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
okay , i did 3 tests and while all my start ups are disabled i still have the problem. I set my sleep mode time for 1 min. and let it go , well within 1 min or so it turned on. I noticed my mouse still works, when i disabled start ups and am wondering if that could be it. Its a logitech dual mouseman. This doesnt seem good, oh boy, what to do?-------------------------------------------------okay i tried the original mouse and disconnected my current one but still no luck, it just turns back on?

Edited by grassi, 15 November 2006 - 04:43 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, that is against my hunch so I am stumped but seeing that it does that with all the startups disabled, I would think that it is the XP system itself so two choices
- repair the system with XPcd
- with system restore, restore the system to a point prior to the problem

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
thank you, by the way i am impressed with your quick replies and do appreciate your time. I wonder if this has been an issue in these forums before. Is there maybe someone you know in these forums to ask? Maybe another tech? Before i get involved with figuring out if its windows xp.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am sure the techs are looking at this too, they often come in and suggest stuff very welcome as this is a rare case

I think that since you cleaned the computer at
tech support forum in their hjt log forum, I would restore the computer back to a point before that and have the hjt forum here clean it for you again since the original cleaning has caused this problem

or you can try a repair with XP which will restore most default values

anyway, I get your hint and will pass over to someone else then

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Generally, waking up from sleep mode is caused by one of two things:

1. Hardware throwing an event that the computer wakes up to handle. This could be movement (or perceived such) of the mouse, something on the keyboard, or Windows trying to do something with the hard drive, as well as others.

2. Software throwing an event that causes Windows to need to do something. Have you recently installed any new software, or anything aside from the new RAM?

Hmm...try this. Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools, and run Disk Degragmenter. Tell it to defragment C:. If there's any programs running that cause a hard drive event, they'll continually reset the defrag, causing it never to get much past 3%. Let us know if that happens, or if it completes ok.