Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sleep mode issues...

• Please log in to reply

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
fleamailman______no hint, just wondering, im being curious, because i didnt think this would be a rare case. I tried system restore but for some reason it wont let me, i tried many different "earlier dates but it said restore point could not be completed.how can i try to check if its xp?

Kurenai_______i tried defraging which by the way i do every week, just about, but double checked and it went fine, In the past i have had messages stating "some files could not be fragmented" but not lately after i cleaned it up, I do have 6 viruses in my backup quarintine folder for norton. They must be recent. Could that be the problem? I have updated my display driver lately, Also i turned down an update for ie7 as it seemed like an odd and big update, but saw somewhere it was givin problems so i didnt do it. cant think of anything else?

Edited by grassi, 15 November 2006 - 07:17 AM.

Advertisements

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
cant i let it sleep then when it turns on, immediately hit ctrl-alt.-delete, and see whats running at that very moment? I dunno just a noob idea? hhmm in my add remove programs, i found logitech desktop messenger, whats that? Maybe it was an option with my mouse, but dont think i need it with mouseware just under it for my current mouse. Seems like garbage?

Edited by grassi, 15 November 2006 - 07:44 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Worth a try. If you're not using it for anything, might as well uninstall it. I'm going to bow out of this one, as it has reached the point at which I would reinstall, or start ripping out programs.

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
well after an exhausting day with hp support ii found the problem and is common for xp, so they say and have had lots of complaints. Anyway
---click Start and then right-click My Computer.
---Windows XP, select Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button
---Click the plus sign next to Network Adapters, and then double-click the name of the network adapter.
---and now for the culprit. lol. Click the Power Management tab, and remove the checkmark from Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby.
---Click OK, close the windows that are open, and then restart the computer

thanks guys for all your help.

Edited by grassi, 15 November 2006 - 01:24 PM.

DSMaster

DSMaster

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a few ideas that you can try. and just as soon as I get the information I need I'll post them for you