Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nero Back It Up 2 restore problem

• Please log in to reply

rupes123

rupes123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

My girlfriend had her laptop stolen last week. :whistling: She's now got a new one and I have been trying to retrieve files backed up on an external USB hard drive using Nero Back It Up 2. Her 40GB hard disk was backed up as a drive (not as individual files and directories) as it was the primary partition. Her new laptop has a 80GB HD and i don'
t want to re-partition her new hard drive (deleting windows etc) to restore her old data. So what I have done is copy the backup files to her c: drive (there are about 12x 2GB files) with the aim of restoring them to a new partition on the external HD. I then hope to copy back the files she actually needs to her new C drive rather than the whole operating system etc. I have created the bootable CD in Nero and have gone through the process as detailed in the Nero Back it up instructions. I boot the PC from the Nero Restore CD and locate the back up files on her c: drive and then select the destination drive as the new partition on the External HD (which i have created as 40GB - the same size as the old HD). The process appears to start but after about 2 seconds i get a message saying the program "has performed an illegal memory access and will be shut down". It then crashes out of the restore program and I have to reboot. I've tried various times with and without trying to create a Master Boot Record (as i don't need to boot from the restored partition, just access the files).

Am I missing something obvious? Is it possible to restore to a primary partition on a USB hard drive rather than an internal HD? Is there any other way at getting at this backed up data? An information would be great as she really needs the data on her backup (and if she's happy i'm happy :blink: )!

Here are some specs if that helps:

New laptop - Toshiba Satellite A110 - 179
XP Home SP2
1GB DDR2 RAM
80GB HD

External HD - Iomega LDHD250 - U
250GB - Primary Partition 40GB (empty)

Thanks a lot

Edited by rupes123, 15 November 2006 - 05:07 AM.

Advertisements