Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting HD

• Please log in to reply

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes how can I formatt a harddrive without a windows disk, and then will I be able to install windows, of my choice. thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
You can use DBAM (Darik's Boot And Nuke) to completely wipe the drive which will make it a clean slate for installing any os you would like to use

To completely erase all data on the drive(s) using Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN)

Download

Readme.txt

Bootable CD version (ISO)
OR
Bootable Floppy/USB Version (EXE - self extracting setup)

Use

Bootable CD
  • Burn the DBAN ISO file to a CD.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)
Bootable Floppy/USB
  • Double click the DBAN EXE file that you just downloaded to execute it
  • Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
  • Press Install
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the Floppy or USB device as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the Floppy or USB device in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the Floppy or USB device as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO LABEL YOUR DBAN DISK CLEARLY AS ACCIDENTAL USE WILL BE CATASTROPHIC!

Edited by dsenette, 13 November 2006 - 12:47 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Just to clarify...you will need a valid Windows cd to reinstall Windows.
Johanna

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have sonic on my XP media center, and it has a image burn, feature, for iso, and global image. will this work the same