Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Who has the Best Antivirus Software "Period"

• Please log in to reply

Marty L Mayes

Marty L Mayes

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes I'm wanting to know who has the best software out their, far as Anti virus, and what about slowing down the computer.

Advertisements

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Nod32 is the best . It doesn't even slow down ur pc .

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I hear NOD32 is the best, I intend on trying it once my AVG subscription ends.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Kapersky is the best, then Nod32 but its a close run thing Nod has better heuristics but kapersky has a much better virus database.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Nod32: http://www.eset.com/

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Mine is. I happened to purchase a copy of Norton Corporate version 10 a few years ago, confirmed with symantec that it was legit, and ran it. Most incredible AV I've ever seen. I've never seen it actively -do- anything, or felt it drag on my system. Once every few weeks, I check it. It always lists the most up to date virus definitions, a recent (within 2 days) last scan, and sometimes new things are on the quarantine or removed list.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Nod32...I have it and it is like not having it cpu wise, and like being in a fortress security wise.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
NOD32 FTW! :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Nod32...I have it and it is like not having it cpu wise, and like being in a fortress security wise.

Why, is it slow? :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm currently using Trend Micro as a whole internet security suite, and it goes pretty good, but on another computer I'm trialling Zone Labs ZoneAlarm Internet Security suite (not just the free firewall), and it's kicking some serious butt, with minimal system usage. Although if you don't want a whole suite, just antivirus (like I get the feeling you do), then yeah, I've read reviews and heard that Kaspersky and NOD32 are excellent also. That's my two cents worth.

Advertisements

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Nod32 is one of the best , if you want to purchase anti-virus program, you can see the results of the best anti-virus programs and their performance at av-comparatives, but if you want free anti-virus, then i would say avast! 4 Home is one of the best and it has the same detections as the professional version. I use it for few years and never had any problems with infections and so on...its setup and forget :whistling:

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I prefer AVG anti-virus as well as their new anti-spyware tool. Both use up very little system resources and perform really well..

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Well AVG anti-virus is a nice product of Grisoft, but when i was doing an examination of the performance of AVG Free it failed to detect some viruses and worms, it failed also dealing with the viruses that he was capable to detect (with some of them not all of them, this is not the case with the payed version), and most important as i can remember had more false positives then avast! and antivir, but there is no anti-virus that is a 100% accurate. AVG is really nice if you have older computer because it doesn't need much resources and doesn't slow the cpu, but i can say the same for the other two avast! and antivir. On the other hand none of them can detect Trojans except avast (but this days we usually use anti-spyware products), also avast is the only one which is free version and gives you an opportunity to schedule a boot time scan, also the only one which scans http traffic ( Kasperski does but its not free) . I really hope that in future AVG will have better performance especially with the new version that is coming as i know somewhere in January, when i plan to examine AVG and Comodo anti-virus(which is also free but still in Beta version).
And when it comes to anti-spyware tools, well AVG Anti-Spyware is not a product made by Grisoft, and its former name is Ewido anti-spyware, which was made in Germany by Andreas Rudyk, Tobias Graf and Peter Klapprodt, and later (now) become AVG Anti-Spyware.This anti-spyware tool is excellent and one of the best that i have tried at 3 computers, two with W2K and one with XP Pro, with plenty of trojans in them. Other anti-spyware that its worth to mention is of course Webroot Spy Sweeper, the paid version of this program gives you an excellent protection against rootkits, keyloggers, and etc. but for this beauty you have to pay.

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
yes the paid version of AVG is very good and I wish my customers could aford it.. :help: But for a free version anti-virus I have found AVG to to be very good and my customers like it as well.

Thanks for telling me about the spyware (Ewido).. That bit of info I did not know and will be helpful in telling my customers. We also use AdAware\Se. for spyware...

There are so many anti-Virus & anti-spyware tools out there and whats most important to us is finding something simple that works well because we deal with a lot of older clients and people who do not really understand computers that well . Fact is, we have some people that really don't know what a virus is or spyware and yet own computers, thus we spend a lot of time cleaning out computers... :blink:

Again.. Thank you for the info.. :whistling:

Edited by evilwizard, 19 November 2006 - 05:59 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I have AVG pro myself, and trust me, you're not missing anything. I really regret buying it to be honest... The tests I've run on it are horrible... I always have to worry about getting infected. Good thing I'm careful. it's easy to use though, but I want to buy NOD32 when I can.