Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Documents and settings all messed up!

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, I've recently gotten hold of this laptop but when adding new users and looking into documents and settings, i've noticed something abnormal.
Please take a look at the picture (of all the folders I have in 'documents and settings') below, and keep in mind that I only have 3 accounts in total on this installation.

I can't even transfer profile settings (using copy to... method)...

But someone please help!! It's really bugging me!!
Thanks!

docs___settings.JPG

Edited by domyue, 13 November 2006 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It looks like the laptop's domain/workgroup might have been changed at some point. Notice the user(s) with .WINDOWS and .Compaq-34AAACC4.

When you go to Control Panel, Users Accounts, Advanced tab, Advanced button, which users do you see?

Which are the active users for this computer?

To confirm, this is Windows XP Home or Professional?

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It's XP Home
I've not changed the domain or workgroup during my ownership of the laptop.

When I go to user accounts I see 3 users (I can't get to any advanced tabs)
Those 3 are what I thought were "normal" users, so not sure what you mean by active.

At the end of the day I want to preserve just ONE of the profile settings and be able to add users like normal.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is the user you use to log in to Windows in the Administrator group?

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
yeah it is

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you tried logging in as another of the existing administrator accounts? Have you tried adding a new adminsitrator user account and logging in with the new user account?

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
yup tried all.
All show this

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Bear with me - just trying to clarify the information...

1. To confirm: be sure that the user profile you want to copy isn't logged in at the time (it could be if you have fast-user switching enabled).

2. In Control Panel, User Accounts, you see three users. Do they match the profiles stored on the computer (System Properties, Advanced tab)? Do the profiles stored match the those user folders under Documents and Settings?

3. What is the workgroup for your computer (System Properties, Computer Name tab - I think XPH will show the workgroup, but it may only be a feature of XPP)?

So, no matter which user account you log in with (assuming other accounts aren't also logged in concurrently), the Copy To button is grayed out?

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
1. fast switching disabled + using an independent profile to copy

2. My other (normal) PC has HOME/'user' (for all 4 of my users here) when i check in system properties> advanced tab.
In my laptop it has COMPAQ-34AAACC4/'user' for all 3 users on that laptop. So something not right here...

3. workgroup is MSHOME

The copy to button is not greyed out, but that's a rather more complicated and inconsistent problem. I wonder if we could try and sort out why there are strange folders in the documents and settings folder first?

Thanks for your help so far!

Edited by domyue, 14 November 2006 - 01:15 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You got the laptop used? Back to my first comment - the .WINDOWS and .COMPAQ-34AAACC4 tacked onto the user names under Docs and Settings indicate different workgroups (since it's WXPH and can't do domains). When a same name user is added to the local machine and then to a workgroup (or different workgroup or domain), Windows tacks on the workgroup name to the user name under Docs and Settings to keep them separate. This agrees with what you're seeing in the Profile list - different workgroup names associated with the user names.

If some of those users/profiles aren't active, delete them. Delete the profiles and delete users. You can then delete the folders under Docs and Settings.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok here comes a strange part - My main user (call it 'X') seems to have 2 my documents - each with different contexts. One is under "X's Documents" and the other is just "My Documents" (obviously when X is signed in)

Incidentally, when I first used the laptop, the main and only user was called "Compaq". I changed it to X and i noticed there were strange folders (AND none of the folders in the picture above actually has "X" in it's name)

Is there a way to just have ONE "X" folder in Documents and Settings (I'll delete the others)??

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, as I stated in the previous post: delete the user accounts and profiles that are unnecessary and then delete the user folders in Docs and Settings that are unnecessary. Be sure you know which folder goes with the user you're planning to keep. Better yet, create a new user, log in to Windows to allow the the new folder in Docs and Settings, copy the preferred profile (if you want), then delete the others.

***You'll also want to keep the local administrator account, profile, and folders in Docs and Settings (but from the screen print you provided, I don't see one called Administrator???) If you need to do maintenance in Safe Mode, are you able to log in as user "Administrator" or which account do you use?

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
i don't have an account called administrator that i know of.

I have trouble copying profiles over...but let me try again tomorrow and i'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!