Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply

Angel420Marie

Angel420Marie

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I recently had to completely reinstall Win XP. I periodically copy my pictures, music and documents onto a separate harddrive. I attach it, copy stuff and remove it. Anyway - before I did a clean install of XP- I backed up my stuff on this hard drive and removed it. I did my clean install - now when I try to install the second harddrive to copy my files, the computer won't boot up and it says NTLDR is missing Press CTRL-Alt-Delete to restart. Windows is not installed on this separate harddrive - I just have my files on it. Any idea how I can fix this and install the harddrive so I can get my files? Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Angel420Marie...

Sounds like it's trying to boot from the wrong drive. I'd first check the Boot Priority in BIOS to make sure it's set to 1) cd-rom...2) HDD...3)floppy (or other).

Then check to see that the extra HDD is jumpered as a slave and that it is connected to the center connector of the IDE ribbon. You might also check the Primary Master drive to make sure it's jumpered and cabled as the Primary Master.

If either drive is jumpered as Cable Select (CS), try changing the jumpers to reflect the correct configuration.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 November 2006 - 09:12 PM.