Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

device manager hardware

• Please log in to reply

mandie8787

mandie8787

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'AM RUNNING ON WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING ALOT OF TROUBLE AND I WENT TO THE START MENU AND RIGHT CLICKED ON MY COMPUTER AND WENT TO PROPERTIES AND WENT UP TO HARDWARE AND CLICKED ON DEVICE MANAGER AND DOWN WHERE IT SAYS OTHER DEVICES IT HAS A YELLOW QUESTION MARK BESIDE OF IT AND THEN OTHER PCI BRIDGE DEVICE IS THE SAME WAY AND SM BUS CONTROLLER IS THE SAME WAY AND VIDEO CONTROLLER ( VGA COMPATIBLE IS THE SAME WAY I'LL TRY AND RUN THE UPDATE DRIVER AND IT TELLS ME ON ALL OF THEM THAT THE HARDWARE WAS NOT INSTALLED BECAUSE THE WIZARD CANNOT FIND THE NECESSARY SOFTWARE. I CAN'T GET NO HELP OUT OF THE MAKER OF THE COMPUTER SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO GET THEM INSTALLED AGAIN I HAVEN'T UNINSTALLED THEM WITH THE QUESTION MARK YET.. I HAVE DONE A SYSTEM RESTORE AND IT DID NOTHING...

Edited by mandie8787, 13 November 2006 - 10:03 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home = xp home
- how old is it

sorry thought you were angry at us because of the capital letters, almost too scared to reply here

to topic then
- download the old free version of this program that tells you the names and the makers of the parts that are missing their drivers, we can work form there then

everest old free verson
http://www.oldversio...p?n=everesthome

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If we can get the model and manufacturer of the computer, google for "<model name> chipset" (without quotes), and just point people to those chipset drivers.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
READ EVERYTHING BEFORE DOING ANYTHING...

Unload whatever progs you loaded between the time it was working and not working...delete all associative files that are safe to do so.

You did a sfc _/scannow ? And that did not fix the problem...

Then, I'm going to make a few assumptions, and if correct, then act upon them...pick option A or B...

Option A:

1. specially built for you
2. but no OEM disk included
3. box that mother board came in may have been included, with a bunch of driver disks enclosed
4. some 3rd party ware tossed in for good measure

Option B:

1. bought off the shelf
2. OEM disk included, recovery disks included
3. bunch of other disks tossed in also

Your probs sound like mother-boardy files mismanagement. Search for the disks that indicate something to do with utilities' drivers ...in your case, the modem, and VGA monitor...pop over to NVIDIA nForce Audio/Video and download their drivers, along with Asus's VGA drivers.

If the computer was built for you, and you got no disk with it, go back to the store and demand a copy of the install disks, no skin off their noses to burn you a copy...an XP OEM will cost you a few bucks. An original XP disk will cost you a whole bunch of bigger bucks...

If the computer was bought ready-made, it should contain an OEM already and accompanying rescue disks.

Try to find a friend who will lend you their same-version disk, and make a copy of it onto your hard-drive, making sure it is an exact copy... c:\Windows Copy You can refer the computer to this folder in future when it goes looking for the install disk. Don't forget to copy his code and activation key down as well.

Go back to the Device Manager and go down to each of the items marked with the yellow exclamation mark. You will want to reinstall the drivers...so pick that option. Follow the prompts with your disks at the ready...it will automatically go looking for them. If it does not find them then try to determin the device is that is calling for that driver, and then visit their home page for a driver update.

In either event, insert the install disk with the drivers on it [them]. If you have two install drives [eg. I have two burner drives, and use both] then go through the start up again...when you come to the point where it needs to find a driver, set it to searching the loaded disks...if it cannot find them there, pop in another set of disks that came with the computer...and so on until fixed. If this works, copy down which disk contained which files, and later make a copy of those files on a floppie or something.

If the above does not work...then download and install either Driver Magic [http://drivermagic.c...ph-welcome.php] or Driver Genius [http://www.driver-soft.com/ ...15 day freebie] and run both, one after the other, to get a feel for what's what.

Do a scan of your computer and make a list of all the drivers it digs up and also a list of those that it feels need updating...include the ones that you already know are problems...

Then go to the following http://www.dll-files...dex/index.shtml and get the files you need.

There are a couple of other free sites if you look for them.

Bon voyage :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 16 November 2006 - 12:09 AM.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
or...original chipset drivers for the board are here:
http://emachines.com...amp;model=W3107
under Drivers, the download is NVIDIA nForce chipset and network drivers for FIC K8MC51G

and...the actually manufacturer of the motherboard does not list the driver on their site, neither does nvidia. You would need to grab the drivers from there, or from the disk that came with the computer.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
...ditto...

How'd we do?