Jump to content

Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

Laptop overheats too fast!


  • Please log in to reply

#1
Finalmike

Finalmike

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My toshiba satillite laptop overheats. Fast. So fast that the fan starts to go nuts when I'm just on this site, nothing else running. After the fan goes crazy for a few minutes my laptop will just shut off.

I bought a Targus Chillpad, which helps a little bit, but if I play any games I get the same shut down problem.

Is there any way to reduce the power that my laptop uses? Is this perhaps not even a power issue?

Thanks :whistling:
  • 0

Similar Topics: Laptop overheats too fast!     x


#2
wannabe1

wannabe1

    Tech Staff

  • Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Finalmike...

There are several possible causes of your overheating...the most probable would be dust and whatnot in the CPU cooler. A good cleaning with a can of compressed air may help, but a good cleaning with the case open would be better. However, I don't recommend opening a laptop up unless you have experience in doing so.

Sometimes the thermal paste between the cooler and processor will breakdown and lose it's ability to transfer heat away from the processor effieciently. This may be especially true if the machine has been getting hot for any length of time. Again, replacing this paste is best left to the experienced.

A failing motherboard can also cause overheating as you describe.

I don't know that this will help, but it will give you a couple places to look for the problem. It doesn't really sound like a power related issue, but a thermal transfer problem.

wannabe1
  • 0


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured