Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

creating file associations

• Please log in to reply

hilde

hilde

• Pip
  • 4 posts
how do I create an association in the folder option control panel

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am sort of confused on what you are asking. Are you trying to associate a file type with a program?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The simplest and easiest way is not in Folder Options. Right-click any file that is of the same type you wish to make an association for. From the context-menu choose 'Open with'. Then select 'Open with' from the sub-menu. Select the application you want that type of file to be associated with, but remember also to tick the box "Always use the selected program to open this type of file". Click OK.

hilde

hilde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
At age 68 I find it chalenging to work with a pc.
Now; how do I know that file this is. for instance,
The one file I wish to open could be a word document. where do I find a file like that, what if I'm not sure what type of file this is.
where do I find the context - menue?
appreciate yhour help.
Hilde

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. What kind of file: the file extension tells you generally what type of file it is (whatever comes after the . [period], for example, .doc is Word, .xls is Excel, .pdf is Adobe, .txt is a text file that can be opened by Notepad). If you don't see the extension, open My Computer, Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab. Look for "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck it.

2. Context menu: this is the "right-click" menu. If you highlight an object or file, click the right mouse button, a short menu will pop up. This is the context-menu, and it gives you options specific (in context) to what you have highligted.

As Keith stated, the easiest way to set a file association is by right-clicking the file and choosing "Open With". If you don't have "Open With" on the context menu, then you'll need to open My Computer, Tools menu, Folder Options, File Types tab. The file types are sorted alphabetically by extension. Browse to the file type you need, highlight it. In the bottom half of that screen, click Browse. Windows will populate a list of programs it thinks are good choices. Highlight the right program and click Ok.

You will also notice that once the file associations are set, the icon for each file will have the picture of the Program that opens it. A Word document will a sheet of paper with a big W on it. A PDF file will have a sheet of paper with "PDF" in the upper corner and a cursive A in the center of the apper.

I hope this helps. If not, please post back.