Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD went strange, S.M.A.R.T. imenant failure came and went

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:blink: :whistling: Yesterday a computer was giving smart message after post that primary drive would fail, "press F1 to continue' I did and it worked fine. So I ran all cleaners and still got the message. Then used XP CD to do repair, 3 times as it was odd. Then message stopped appearing but would not finish booting to XP. I tried another repair and got through post with no smart warning. BUT in boot from CD, I normally click "enter" then "F8" then "R" for the repair since I have no backup disk. Has always worked for me before. But this last time after "F8", R is not an option just format and new install. It no longer recognizes a preexisting OS.
I pulled the drive and put it in a match system as a slave and got NO errors, and new hardware found and working properly messages. But when I try to open it ,I get the message that the drive needs formatted. I have been unable to get in it although current BIOS, S.M.A.R.T. ,and device manager appear that the drive is fine. I could lose everything on it fine with me! EXCEPT TWO EMAILS FROM MY 45 year old SISTER-IN-LAW that DIED WEDENSDAY!!!!! I would send the drive to anyone that could get the "outlook express" inbox from it. Or tell me how. I have not formatted it, and it apears to pass tests but seems to messed up the operating system perhaps from the cleaning, defragging, and XP CD repairs. When in another computer as slave it recognizes that the drive is not empty and asks to format when I press open. HELP :help: PLEASE HELP ME FIND A "DATA RECOVERY PROGRAM" would pay for help or program. Please dicuss options and my hdd details to determine what might work.

Edited by crunch, 14 November 2006 - 12:28 AM.

Advertisements

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:blink: :help: Another BLESSING! Using XP CD in repair and bad drive as primary, boot from cd. First chance to repair (black screen)went to 59% by using blackscreen "chkdsk /r", twice, then XP CD repair "enter" > "F8" > "R" (blue screen) ("R" finally appeared) only would go to 12%, 5 times. Reinstalled as slave, booted from master AND IN "MY COMPUTER" IT OPENED THE "E" DRIVE FINALLY found "outlook inbox folder" in "E" . Went back to "C" drive opened outlook express and imported the "OUTLOOK INBOX FOLDER" from "E" to "C"'s outlook express. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU! I COULD FEEL SUPPORT! FOR this emotional situation. :whistling:

Edited by crunch, 15 November 2006 - 01:20 AM.