Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Gets Really Hot

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I have a Compaq Presario V2000 and it gets hot extremely fast. Like I'll go on the internet and my fan starts growling and my computer gets really hot. I cleaned out the fan with a vaccuum. But its still really hot. Any help would be appreciated. If it helps I have an AMD Turion 1.6 GHZ. 1gb of RAM. 80 GB hd.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
How hot is it getting, and what program are you using to monitor temperatures?

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I'm not using a program but all I can say is that it kinda burns my skin a little. Like if I'm on for 30 minutes or so Internet browsing it starts to get hot enough to where I can't use it on my lap. I'll download SpeedFan and see my temps.After running SpeedFan for about one hour. I got these temps HD:47C Temp1:66-68C.

Edited by Drumbum667, 14 November 2006 - 10:11 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm going to leave Kurenai to carry on helping you but I just wanted to make one quick observation.....

Don't place the laptop directly on your lap. If you do need it on your lap then make sure you place a hard surface (eg a large book or tray etc) in between the laptop & your lap. The reason being, is that a lot of laptops have vents on the underside & placing them on your lap (or on a bed, sofa, cushion etc) will effectively block these vents & prevent the air from flowing.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Then why do they call them laptops. I understand your point there but the reason I have a laptop is cause I'm always moving. If I wasn't I would get a desktop. Its not always directly on my lap so I think the vents can circulate enough air.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also having a laptop on your lap is a bad thing for guys as heat is a very effective method of sterilization.

When was the last time you cleaned the laptop.

Laptop is just one name for them, they have had many names over the years, laptop is just one that is more of a category of size as much as how you use it, its in the desktop, palmtop nomenclature, however it doesnt fit as well because most use laptops on a desk.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Yesterday I put a very strong vaccuum over it and it cleaned out a lot of dust. I use the laptop on my lap otherwise I would have gotten a desktop.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You really shouldnt use it on your lap, like i said medically its not good for you and its not good for the laptop either.

You should maybe get a cooler, they are bases with fans that sit the laptop up at an optimal angle and are powered via the USB, they make a big difference to temperatures.

Unless you get a laptop designed for mobility like the 12inchers and lower powered 15 inchers then its a desk loving beast.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Well how much are coolers. And my laptop is definitely a portable one because Its very light, and its a 12 or 14 inch widescreen. Its not like a huge one. Its definitely made for portability.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Those temps are a little high for your processor. What apps do you have running at startup? What type of load is Speedfan showing on your CPU? Is your antivirus program scanning while you are surfing the internet? Antivirus scans can put a lot of stress on your CPU, so I would suggest setting the timer to run when you are not actively using the laptop.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
f.y.i. - The reason that companys like HP and Apple don't call them laptops is because people have burned themselves. So in order to not have a lawsuit they started calling them notebooks :whistling:

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Those temps are a little high for your processor. What apps do you have running at startup? What type of load is Speedfan showing on your CPU? Is your antivirus program scanning while you are surfing the internet? Antivirus scans can put a lot of stress on your CPU, so I would suggest setting the timer to run when you are not actively using the laptop.

I don't know what you mean by load but no i'm not running antivirus while browsing cause I know that makes the cpu slower. I'm really only browsing the internet.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
A couple of weeks ago someone said that their laptop was rebooting on it's own. He followed the following procedure and reported back that it took care of the problem:

http://www.informati...h...&queryText=

I work mostly on desktops and most of them are pretty full of dust. Sometimes the heat sink for the cpu is 90-95% plugged up with dust and what not. So laptop cleaning is essential.

For the most part my Gateway laptop runs much cooler than what I'm seeing reported on this board. Once, the top got really hot but that was because the exhaust fan didn't come on. I let it sit for a couple of days and it's been fine ever since.

If my laptop was overheating, I would follow the above cleaning procedure and if that didn't solve the problem, I would take it apart and make sure that it was dust free. I'm not telling you to take it apart. Everyone has to evaluate their own abilities and then decide wethere to do it themselves or take it to a professional.....

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I feel pretty comfortable taking apart my laptop. I may take it too a professional if I feel its too complicated. I do replace all my RAM by myself on my laptop "feels really special". Thanks for the advice.