Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP problem: STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

• Please log in to reply

Jezza

Jezza

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi all. I've been checking all related posts and none are terribly similar to my problem/s.

It all started without my knowledge. I wasn't even near my computer for hours. I was running a few applications maybe, firefox, messeger.

When I came back, the computer was continuously loading up to the point where the windows logo with the load bar had just finished, and the logon menu should start. This is where the error occurs. It just restarted, and did it again in an endless loop.

I tried to start it in safe mode, and every other mode, and it starts loading drivers, then restarts too. So I started it up with no reset on system failure to check out what the blue screen of death had to say.

The error was:

STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image MSASN1.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

Luckily I have two hard drives, and one runs Windows2000, which is how im communicating right now. I went in search of the error and was recommended to rename the file to .old, and install a new one, which i got from dll world or some other reputable site.

Then, hoping that that had fixed xp, I loaded up xp. A new error presented itself, with the exact same symptoms. Not making it to logon menu, and not working in any other mode.

The error was:

STOP: c000007b {Bad Image}
The image \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\basesrv.dll is not a valid windows image.

I relogged onto 2000 to check out this new error. Again it was recommended that I chance the corrupt one to .old, and install a new one.

Again I thought it might be possible to load up xp. And the final error (or the error I am not able to get past) has presented itself. I have looked everywhere to fix this, and I fear the best solution is a repair install, which I can't do until later on today. So hopefully there is another way.

The error is:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows logon Process System Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000012f (then something like 0x0000000000, 0x00000000000)
The system has shut down.

Not sure on the exact wording of that last part. Anyhow, I logged back onto 2000 to check this one out. And to my dismay I found that a few things could cause this, of which one was mismatched files. Thinking that it was those new files causing this error, I restored the .olds. Which of course brought be back the other two errors. So seeing how this has fixed nothing, i renamed them again to try and tackle this last error.

This pretty much brings you up to date. It wont logon to windows, it starts up, but you never see the logon screen. It won't startup in any other mode. I can't get DrWatson to log the errors or crash dump. So I'm in the dark as to what is happening. I also can't use hijack this on xp, because I cant load into it, and I'm not sure if its possible to check one OS's regestry from a different one's.

So this is where I am now. I would appreciate any help, and am willing to do whatever I need to, to fix this thing. As stated earlier, I will be able to repair later on today, if that's what it's going to take. Sorry this has been so long, but hopefully the information will aid you in aiding me.

Thanks in advance, Jezza

Advertisements

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK I did a repair using the windows xp repair feature, and all appears to work fine, except for one thing.

As it starts up, the point after the windowsXP logo startup screen, and before the login screen, it hangs.

It takes a few minutes to boot past this screen. The isn't normal, I've never encountered this before. Any advice on how to fix it?

Thanks, Jezza