Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with laptop settings and items in startup

• Please log in to reply

snap160

snap160

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - I have a dell inspiron 600m - about a year. It has worked fine except for one glitch. If it is on battery and it runs out, instead of just doing a straight hibernation and then letting me plug back in and 'wake it'; when i replug it, it does a dump, tells me to look for recently installed software that may be causing the problem, etc. The last time took three restarts to get back to a clean boot.

I finally realized that at some point, my son tested his phone as mouse via bluetooth, but never properly installed it. Whenever i would boot up after that, it would discover the hardware, but not the software (which i dont seem to have), I would close the wizard, get a sorry it didnt install message, but everything else seemed fine.

Now... I tried to shut down the bluetooth, so that the wizard stops, but now all my other settings have weirded out and the QUICKSET thing comes up and none of those settings match what i had before and no matter what i put in it does what it wants... no screen saver when unplugged... sometimes it hibernates... sometimes it goes to screensaver... it is to the point that i am afraid to work unplugged... what is the point of the laptop??

I would like to know how to reset my settings so i can work cordless without fear, how to remove some items from startup (which i used to be able to do BEFORE XP) and how to either correct or remove the bluetooth (which at this point just ticks me off by its very presence on my screen).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements