Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden Reboot?

• Please log in to reply

xsaberion

xsaberion

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm having a problem, where my computer would end up at the DOS screen, after a period of time. I assume it's a rebooting problem, because my computer would be on. It doesn't reboot completely, asking me for a boot disk, and saying boot failure.

Could someone tell me if there is any causes for this? If I reboot again, it will load the OS and everything normally.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if / when you do get running ...backup anything you can't live without...

give us all the info you know about your system...hardware ....operating system...make and model #....did you recently install any hardware or software or updates for yor OS...the more you give the quicker we can help...

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Nothing new has been added or updated; started suddenly during the time I was in school. I normally keep a game turned on, because of it's benefits in-game. When I returned home, it was on the DOS screen.

Using Windows XP, upgraded from 98 over 3 years ago.
512 mb ram.
80 gb hdd, 5.5 gb left, that is usable.
GF Siluro graphic card

As for the backing up of my files, they consume over 40 gb - I don't have an external hdd right now; so would it be a good idea, not to even turn on the computer?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
backup to dvd or cd's.....we'll try a few things after you get backed up...as some of the fixs might hurt your data...no sense taking any chances...

xsaberion

xsaberion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm not having trouble booting now, it won't boot at all. At the DOS, it gives me an error.

"Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter"

Edited by xsaberion, 14 November 2006 - 12:27 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Could be any of the following:

1. Boot options are not set properly in CMOS
2. Non bootable CD or CD-R in computer
3. All boot devices set are not bootable

If it's the first one, enter the BIOS and make SURE the boot priority is correct and the Hard drive is enabled, i know you'd say "Why the heck would i disable the HD?" believe me, it happens accidentally.
If it's number two than just make sure nothing is in the CD/DVD drive nor floppy drive.
If option three, then it gets more complicated, start by trying using the recovery console on an XP CD (has to be the same version as yours) once in the repair console type "chkdsk /r" with no quotation marks (note the space between chkdsk and r). if no fix then try typing "fixboot" also no quotation marks, if no result try typing "fixMBR" no quotation marks.

All the third step in recovery console, good luck and please post back.

P.S. if you get the message "Selected HDD not correct or HD has no disk." for chkdsk /r
or the message "Cannot find HDD" for fixboot
then something is screwed up in your Hard drive or the boot sector.

-OCM770-