Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer in danger of being smashed into bits-act now.

• Please log in to reply

lilbabe24

lilbabe24

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need help with my system.

I have a HP Pavillion, its running windows 98, the cd drive is shot so the solution(s) must not not involve it.

The computer was hanging upon shut down so I downloaded something from microsoft for it. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but it's the last thing I remember changing before the [bleep] hit the fan; which was a few days later.

I turned the computer on and it said something to the effect of error loading kernel, you must reinstall windows, then it turned off and I started it again and it brought me to a selection menu etc...

I played around with this, sometimes I got through to the normal start but it eventually froze up, it wouldn't remember any save settings for my ares program and it dissassociated my media content from respective players.

I ended up rendering the kernel32 file old and replaced it with a new one from dll files.com or something or another, its in swedish :whistling: ( I just looked as I was typing this and I see that now it isn't?) Anyway it seemed to do the trick, the content player saved along with ares but after a reset everything happened all over again minus the error when loading kernel.

I also am only able to use my internet access for about five minutes after starting the computer, afterwards all th browsers error when attempting any page. I don't know when this happened except for it was not before the initial problem.

P.S. When I typed about the swedish thing, I meant the prompt for "Standby, Shut Down" "Restart"... It is back in english now.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Try going to Start then Run. Type in sfc /scannow . If it asks for a the Windows CD use the Browser button and point it to the i386 folder in the WINDOWS folder.

Edited by acklan, 15 November 2006 - 01:21 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
actually the windows files ( if they are there ) are probably in c:\windows\options\cabs since it is a windows 98 machine. If the cabs are not there you are going to get a cd on it somehow....

acklan you are thinking of win Nt based systems not 9x.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Your right, my bad.