Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB keyboard trouble

• Please log in to reply

IceTear

IceTear

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
i recently purchased a USB keyboard and found that whenever i attempt to boot up my computer i get a black screen...the only way round this problem is to turn the power of and on again... it then tells me that there was a problem loading BIOS and asks me to load the last working bios (which i of course do). this problem only occurs when the USB keyboard is plugged in. i then tried to change my BIOS and allow USB keyboard however the only option that i can relate to this is one that says
USB KB/USB HARD DRIVE [ENABLED]
im not sure that that is the right command but if it is i cant see what the problem is and if it isnt then i cannot find the option in my BIOS. can any1 shed some light on my problem? if what im trying to do is right and if not any ideas on how to fix it? if not then looks like im unpluging my keyboard every time :whistling: because i really wont to use this keyboard. i heard something about disabling quick boot up but i dont like to touch stuff i dont understand 8)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Couple of questions first...

1. You said that the system boots to a black screen when the keyboard is already connected. Do you mean that the screen stays blank from the second you power on or does it turn black when it starts to load windows?

2. Have you tried booting with that bios setting (USB KB/USB HD) enabled and disabled? If not, then try it & see if it makes any difference.

3. Can you let me know what system you have. If you have a big brand PC (eg Dell, HP etc) then let me know the model number of the actual computer. If not, then I will need the motherboard make/model number & bios revision if possible. You can find this info out by using Everest which you can download from this link :

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

IceTear

IceTear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

1. You said that the system boots to a black screen when the keyboard is already connected. Do you mean that the screen stays blank from the second you power on or does it turn black when it starts to load windows?

my screen turns black and stays black wen i wud usualy get the windows logo on screen.

2. Have you tried booting with that bios setting (USB KB/USB HD) enabled and disabled? If not, then try it & see if it makes any difference.

erm no not yet as im not sure what that option changes, pls can u tell me b4 i mess about with it 8)

3. Can you let me know what system you have. If you have a big brand PC (eg Dell, HP etc) then let me know the model number of the actual computer. If not, then I will need the motherboard make/model number & bios revision if possible. You can find this info out by using Everest which you can download from this link :

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 12/24/2004-MS-7125-6A61FM49C-00
Motherboard Name MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (MS-7125)

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type AMD Hammer
Real Clock 200 MHz
Effective Clock 200 MHz
HyperTransport Clock 1000 MHz

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 201 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 402 MHz
Bandwidth 6429 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 939
Expansion Slots 4 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 1 PCI-E x16
RAM Slots 4 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset nForce4-Ultra
Extra Features CoreCell, Dynamic Overclocking Technology, SATA, RAID

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.t...ro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.t...pt_bos_list.php

Field Value
BIOS Properties
BIOS Type Award
Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message W7125NMS V1.0 122404 10:13:51
System BIOS Date 12/24/04
Video BIOS Date 01/03/05

BIOS Manufacturer
Company Name Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Product Information http://www.phoenix.c...cts/default.htm
BIOS Upgrades http://www.esupport....fm?refererid=40

Problems & Suggestions
Suggestion Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade? Contact eSupport Today!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, cheers.

The bios setting basically enables legacy USB support. This is needed in order to use a USB device before Windows has loaded. If this setting is disabled, then you won't be able to use the keyboard prior to Windows loading & so may have a problem accessing the bios in order to re-enable it! As the screen goes blank at windows start up, I would suggest you leave the setting enabled for now.

I'll get back to you shortly regarding what to do next (have to pop out now for as couple of hours but back soon...)

IceTear

IceTear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok np ty for the fast reply 8)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, couple more things to check...

1. Do you have SP2 installed? If not, you should install it.

2. Is the keyboard connected directly to a USB port or is it connected to a USB hub, then the port? If it's connected to a hub, try plugging it in straight to a rear USB port.
If its already connected direct to a port, then try moving it to a different one but not the one next to it i.e on your system you have, I believe, 4 rear ports in a cluster. Assuming you have a tower case, then these 4 ports will be arranged like this:
_ _
¦ ¦ ¦ ¦
¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ Pair A
_ _
¦ ¦ ¦ ¦
¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ Pair B

If keyboard is currently in one of the ports in pair A, then move to a port in pair B (or vice versa)

Let me know if any of this make any difference

IceTear

IceTear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

1. Do you have SP2 installed? If not, you should install it.

already installed

2. Is the keyboard connected directly to a USB port or is it connected to a USB hub, then the port? If it's connected to a hub, try plugging it in straight to a rear USB port.
If its already connected direct to a port, then try moving it to a different one but not the one next to it i.e on your system you have, I believe, 4 rear ports in a cluster. Assuming you have a tower case, then these 4 ports will be arranged like this:
_ _
¦ ¦ ¦ ¦
¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ Pair A
_ _
¦ ¦ ¦ ¦
¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ Pair B

If keyboard is currently in one of the ports in pair A, then move to a port in pair B (or vice versa)

Let me know if any of this make any difference

this made no difference wat so ever, however by this point i was getting red up so:

went into BIOS and changed USB KB/USB HARD DRIVE to disabled rebooted and it worked fine :whistling: have got no idea why this wud happen but just to check will disabling this command give me any probs wen using my computer? i got a feeling (but not tested it yet) that i will need to use my old keyboard to edit setup/BIOS in future but if it is the case im not really bothered as i dont do that too often :blink:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Great, glad its working.
I initally wanted you to disable this setting but as I explained, I was concerned about changing it back again as you will now have no legacy keyboard function. This means that as you suggested, you will need to connect your old (PS/2) keyboard if you need to go back into the bios at any point in the future.

As long as you know this, then it shouldn't be a problem & at least Windows now boots ok.

IceTear

IceTear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yep ill remember 8) + my PS/2 leyboard still works fine if for any reason i need to get into BISO. thanks 4 the help Samm

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome :whistling: