Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Omnibook 3000 CTX - FREE just pay shipping

• Please log in to reply

KenLyle

KenLyle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
****This machine is no longer available. However, the post remains, in case it contains info that may help someone***

I HAD an HP Omnibook 3000 CTX - notebook - looking for a good home.

This machine served me well in it's day. I maxed out the memory to 144 MB, plenty for Win 98SE.

I installed Win98 this a.m., and am getting "Explorer cause an error". I believe it has to do with Windows installing the generic VGA driver.

I seem to recall that the upgrade to XP was "not advised", so this is basically a Win98*Guest machine, currently without O/S.

I have a docking station (Audio, S, P, 2 USB) and a spare hard drive carrier, too, which I'll send along.
I had a spare battery and external floppy, but those are missing now.

Two PCMCIA cards: IBM/USR XJack 56K modem, and 3Com Ethernet card.

If someone believes they can get it working, I believe that it can be done, just not by me. This should be a good "Mom/kitchen/hunting cabin/systems monitor/student/basic" PC for someone.

I am going to ask $40 for packing and shipping, within the U.S., and send me a photo if you get it working...

Thanks,
Ken

Edited by KenLyle, 16 November 2006 - 06:08 AM.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried one of he Live Linuxs? Puppy, Knoppix, ubuntu, DAM ([bleep] Small Linux),... I Have use Puppy Linux on a computer as slow as a 133mhz with 32mb RAM and a 1.2gb hard drive. It is less than a 70mb download. It uses a FAT32 partition ustead of a ext2 partition.

KenLyle

KenLyle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's a great idea, and a solid use for this machine. I installed both Ubuntu and RH on it, and they seem to run.

My primary machine is still Windows, because I am a heavy Access user, and haven't had time to learn the Linux equivalent.

One issue is that the PCMCIA controller seems to not be recognized by Linux, per some wizards at LinuxWorld who were trying to install Linux on as many laptops as possible.

So it seems to me to be a Windows only machine, but a fine, usable one, for the right person, and why I'm looking for a good home for it.

Thanks,
Ken

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Have you checked the Compaq site to seeif there are any more recent BIOS updates that may address the problem?

KenLyle

KenLyle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's actually an HP, and I think I checked, at one point, but don't recall.

I got your PM, and will be packing and shipping it to you once we do the payment.

Thanks, all, for looking.

Let me know what you do with it, because I liked it a lot, first notebook, and all...

Best Regards,
Ken