Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop shuts down by itself

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
I was using my computer one day when my computer screen suddenly turned totally black. Rarely, like one in eight times, my desktop will restart by itself. Other than that rare happening, it just goes out and nothing happens next. I thought it was some power-saving thing on my desktop or screen. So I tried to stop the power-saving move by pressing the keyboard or mouse. When the screen goes totally black, the screen stand power light starts to turn from green to blinking green. And the power light on my CPU stays green without blinking. In other words, the CPU stays on but I have no way to on my screen again. (Even by pressing to switch it off and switch it on again)

Pretty often, the screen goes black soon after start up for around 3 seconds and then come back. Around another 3 minutes later it goes totally black and the paragraph above this happens.

I figured it could be a virus but I need to confirm myself before posting a HiJackThis log. Also, I've checked all plugs and sockets. All are placed properly and all the way in. No worries on that.

I have posted in here, and I was asked to post my HJT log in here for further assistance.

Here is my HJT Log:

this is probably not a malware issue. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

Please assist me in this problem of mine with your kind skills. (:

Regards,
Jay

Edited by dsenette, 20 November 2006 - 09:20 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Rarely, like one in eight times, my desktop will restart by itself.

does this mean that sometimes the PC itself will do a full restart on it's own? or sometimes...your desktop comes back from being a black screen?

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
In the early early stages, like two months ago. My desktop will just recover from the black screen. But in the recent two weeks it went off and never came back up.

I figured it was a malware problem (since at times while posting on other forums my "find" tool will appear, this usually appears when you press Ctrl + F, but I never pressed it. Not once or twice, but many times.) So I decided to install ZoneAlarm since my firewall expired. One day after installing it, my desktop couldn't even get to the desktop! Not even to the account selection page.

It starts up, goes to the blue screen and starts dumping physical memories. Then it loads and goes to the WinXP screen and then it turns black (not the usuall black as in, switched off black, but just black screen) and goes back to dumping physical memory. It goes on and on and on. Never stops. Thought it would finally get in but it repeated for like half an hour and then I decided to just switch it off.

This problem is really frustrating. Please figure this out for me.

Thank you!

Regards,
Jay

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
After leaving the computer untouched for two days. The computer has finally switched on. This time, I decided to log into my sister's account instead of my own account. None of the black screen happened!! Amazing. So I used around for like half-an-hour, then decided to switch back to my account. After using my account for like 15 minutes, the black screen appeared. And soon began dumping physical memories. What is the problem here?

I discovered nv4_disp is the file that is causing problems to my desktop. When dumping phycical memory, it says the problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp. Any idea how to solve this?

Edited by beanie, 22 November 2006 - 03:30 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the nv4_disp is usually related to an nvidia driver....have you tried updating your graphics card driver?

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

the nv4_disp is usually related to an nvidia driver....have you tried updating your graphics card driver?

Where can I go to update it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the nvidia website should have the drivers...you'll need to know the model number for your video card

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
My model is nVidia GeForce FX 5200. I don't find it anywhere in the website. Tried searching on the search tool bar but I don't seem to see any relavant results. >.<

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_93.71.html that page should have the driver you're looking for

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Are you certain that I need to download that file and run the installation?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you're asking if i'm 100% certain that this will fix your problem...then the answer is no...i have a pretty good hunch that this may help...but i can't be sure of anything

if you're asking if i'm sure that that's the file that corresponds to your video card drivers...then yes...i am sure of that

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Alright, I done the update. And tried to restart as it asked me to. Upon restart. The unending cycle begins again.

I can asure you now, that the system instability is caused by my nVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. This is because on one occasion, I left the computer off for half an hour and then switched on again. It was able to do so. Upon reaching the desktop, a pop up came out asking me to report the problem to Microsoft. I click don't send though. The pop up window said the system instability was caused by "nVidia GeForce FX 5200". Please help me solve this problem.

Regards,
Jay

neora

neora

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi beanie... I'm not gonna give you a solution for your problem... dsenette is much better at it.. but you can stop the continuous restart cycle when u get BSOD.

Rightclick my computer--> properties--> Advanced tab

under 'startup and recovery' click on 'settings'... under 'system failure' uncheck 'Automatic restart'

this shud stop the restart cycle and would show the BSOD once and stop.

cheers

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Hi beanie... I'm not gonna give you a solution for your problem... dsenette is much better at it.. but you can stop the continuous restart cycle when u get BSOD.

Rightclick my computer--> properties--> Advanced tab

under 'startup and recovery' click on 'settings'... under 'system failure' uncheck 'Automatic restart'

this shud stop the restart cycle and would show the BSOD once and stop.

cheers

Is there any harm to having this applied?

neora

neora

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
i think it would be less harmful than the PC going thru the restart cycle.