Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best video conferencing software?

• Please log in to reply

AniDanny

AniDanny

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I'm looking for something effective for a video chat between me and a friend. AIM has never liked letting me do video conferences, Yahoo refuses to run more than about 0.7 fps, and MSN won't work because the mac version is too old to be compatible with the PC version. So I'm looking for something that will run fairly fast (at least 5 frames per second with both of us on high-speed internet) that's compatible between Macs and PCs. I don't care if that's all the program can do, we have other clients that can be used for chatting and just need a decent-speed video feed. Any suggestions?

Oh, also... preferably something that's free.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
If you're running at least 10.3.x, you can use iChat, which syncs with a PC user's AIM video conferencing tool. Essentially, you'd use iChat on your side, and they'd use AIM on their side. http://www.macobserv.../02/05.10.shtml

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Actually, I'm on a PC and having trouble with AIM's video conferencing. My friend is on a Mac and uses iChat (and says it's awesome). I'm not sure why, but AIM rarely lets me establish a video chat with anyone (which is why I tend to use MSN or Yahoo instead).

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok, my friend found a program called Skype, so we'll probably go with that. Unless anyone needs to warn me that this program is dangerous, or that there's something significantly better out there, this topic is closed.