Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Director and problem after IE7 installed

• Please log in to reply

DaffyDee

DaffyDee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
For anyone out there who has just discovered that their HP Director icon no longer works after installing Internet Explorer 7, here is workaround/fix for it...... Dee :whistling:

Click (or double-click) on the Director Icon like you normally do to run it... the program is starting, but hiding.

After a second or two, hit <ALT><Space> on the keyboard. That will "pop-up" a dialog box... click "Minimize" (may have to click it twice). You will then see the Director icon appear in the taskbar. Click the taskbar Director button and the program will then come up and work normally.

OR..............

put the following text in a .txt file with Notepad and save as a .js file, give it any name, put file somewhere on your pc and change the target for your HP Director icon so that it goes to the .js file. HP Director should now open normally although larger box than usual!

var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
var dirfile="C:\\Program Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\Hpqdirec.exe";
var oExec = WshShell.Exec(dirfile);
WScript.Sleep(3000);
WshShell.SendKeys("%( )"); //equivalent of Alt+spacebar
WshShell.SendKeys("nn"); //equivalent of click minimize twice
oExec = WshShell.Exec(dirfile);

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks, I am sure that there will be many posters who will be having this problem so thanks for the workaround

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Yeah, I read about that particular workaround here:

http://msmvps.com/bl.../22/197647.aspx

HP has come out with updated software to take care of this problem for some of it's psc printers, mine's not one of them.

Think I'll wait for HP to get off it's dead a_ _ and fix the problem. Installed IE7 and uninstalled it before these "workarounds" (which don't always work) came about.

Don't need IE7 all that bad, even with it's supposed "enhanced security features" (there are questions about that also).

Did a registry hack to prevent IE7 from automatically downloading on my system.