Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP2 Freezes

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a domain workstation that runs XP SP2 fully updated that is locking up. It is currently having two symptoms.

One: When you use our database which pulls info across the network it hangs every couple minutes and then will catch back up, sometimes even saying Not Responding in the title bar.

Two: When open FireFox or IE v6 to the home page it will not connect and just time out. But if you keep hitting refresh it will eventually come up.

I am kinda stumped, it is the only machine on the domain having this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
My first thought is a network connectivity issue, since it happens accessing the internet and a network database. Try swapping cables and/or installing a different NIC. If this computer is attached to a switch, try a different port.

Can this computer access other network resources without locking up?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I thought about going through that but these are less than 5% of his network useage. The other 95% is email, file shares, ftp, etc. It seems to only happen on these two programs.

I re-qualified his network tap and it is also run through a VoIP phone which functions fine. Hard for me to believe it is a network issue.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What about logging in to Windows with a different user? Maybe there's a problem with his profile. Or safe mode with networking or diagnostic startup? Maybe a conflict of some kind.

Still, it might be worth it to do the cable/switch/NIC swap, just to rule it out.