Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Insert a non-space space in Word and Access

• Please log in to reply

johnbfdma

johnbfdma

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have two problems that I think may the same problem:

In Word, I want to keep two words together so that they won't get separated by wrapping at the margin.

In Access, I am using the TRIM function to remove extra spaces from several concatenated text fields, BUT I want to maintain extra space between two of the fields, despite TRIM's efforts to remove extra spaces.

I think that the answer to both those issues may be something I believe may have once been called a forced or required space. I think it is a non-displayable / printable character that will hold space in the text, but will not be treated as space by word wrap in Word or by Trim in Acess.

I think I've seen it some e-mails that I have edited with Word with the non-printing characters turned on - it looks like a degee symbol. I have pasted it between here| |and here and have inserted it into the attached Word doc.

Am I on the right track, what is the charater?

Attached Files

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It's called a Non-Breaking Space (in Word), and can be inserted by typing Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar.

johnbfdma

johnbfdma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Great! It worked in Word as you described and I was able to use it in Access by copying the character from Word and pasting it into Access!

Thanks!