Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wav. file transfers over internet

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Encountering difficulty sending wav. file over internet using Yahoo Messneger>Actions>Send File or by using email service such as Microsoft Outlook enabling file as an attachment.

I sent a wav. file utilizing Yahoo Instant Messenger option of "send file". Recipient receives file, but when Windows Media Player opens up the following occurs. She gets window mediaplayer 10 window with message ".............music store loading.............., and then she is sent directly to www.napster.com, but is advised that said program is not installed on her computer. She is using Windows XP Home whiile I am using Windows XP Professional with Office 2003.

I had her resend the file back to me by return e-mail and I had no problem opening up the file. I merely click on "Play" and the file opens up and I can hear the file.

I have tried sending said file as compressed file (zip) or .rar. but same thing she cannot open file.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

This file was created on Windows Sound Recorder, burned to disk using Nero, and uploaded and sent to recipient.

Wayne

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What version of Windows Media Player? It sounds like her MP thinks it's copyright protected.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
She's t telling me that its Media Player MP10

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is the file copyright protected?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I don't see how this can be copyright material due to the fact that this is a recording made by my wife and I merely copied the song onto a cassette, then fed it into my Sound Recorder, recorded it, saved it to My Music, thence on to a CD-RW and then uploaded it and sent it to the recipient. The original recording was copywrited at source(vinyl medium). This was not downloaded off the web. Insofar as the original medium being copywrighted, yes it was copyright material, but with my wife's passing, I have inherited the copyright of original works. I am now in full control of copyright under the terms and conditions of SOCAN(formerly CAPAC, Canadian equivalent of ASCAP.)

I don't see how this recording could have any coding that would indicate that it is copyrighted material.

Waynef

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Just checking to be sure it wasn't a ripped commercial CD.

Do you have anyone else to test with? Or possibly can your friend try opening the .wav file with a different media player, like Winamp? It may be that somehow her WMP is set to refresh licenses. Can she open any other .wav file with WMP and does that "music store" message come up?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
While this exchange of files was going on I was in constant contact with her on Windows Live Messenger and I had previously sent her a wav. file back in September so I asked her if she was able to listen to that file, and she said the same thing had happened, and as in this case, this was a personally created file. She does not haave Winamp as far as I know, but she does have Limewire(if that's any help)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm not very familiar with Limewire. To me it sounds like her Windows MP is trying to connect to an online store or refresh/download licenses when she opens it. If she opens WMP from All Programs (instead of double-clicking the .wave file), does it do the same thing? If so, then that pretty much takes the actual .wav file out of the problem. They we'll need to figure out why her WMP is trying to connect to Napster.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I don't know how things are on her end, cause I'm at this end and going by what she was tellilng me on IM, but if I try to just go Start>Windows Media Player I get the same result. But if I double clik on the attachement or file, WMP opens up, and before this Napster thing fully loads up I clik on "Play" the wav. file plays.

I subsequently told her to do the same, don't wait for it to load up, but it seems that when she cliks on the file, she is redirected to the Napster web page.

If you would like to have a copy of our exchanges on IM I can paste them here for you, it might give you some kind of insight as to what is really going on on her end.

Wayne

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I don't understand why Napster loads when you open Windows Media Player. And are you saying that both yours and hers does this? That's unusual in my mind. Which points back to the file. Does Napster have anything to do with the software you used to record the .wav file?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
not 100% sure on this...but i'll throw it out there...do you know (can you find out) if she has "napster to go" on her pc? maybe by her own accord or maybe installed by someone else or possibly as a "free gift" from another product? could you see if "Napster for Windows Media Player" shows up in add/remove programs on her computer? if so it's possible that if she uninstalls that...WMP will leave napster alone and work independantly again...

Edited by dsenette, 15 November 2006 - 09:16 AM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I am beginning to think that this is a two-part problem. Part one, she is getting a Napster request to download when she tries to open the file. She is not at all interested in uninstallilng and re-installing Windows Media Player as she has indicated that she has the latest version.

Part Two: Which I really cannot understand. When I send her a wav. file created using Windows Sound Recorder, and I email directly off of Windows Media Player, with a content number of 300 bytes, she receives 44 bytes. I have had her forward said e-mail back to me and I recieve 300 bytes and can readiily open it up on Windows Media Player version 10(like hers)

I sent this file also to someone else via e-mail and they receive only 44 bytes. No data. Seems like they're only getting the name of the file.

I have been advised by my second recipient of the file that I should download Hi-Q Recorder 2.0 or some such program that will compress the file into MP3. I have not done so as yet.

BE advised that my second recipient sent me a MP3 file and I could upload and play it on WINAMP with no problems.

When I upload Windows Media Player I do not get any messages in regards to Napster or any advisement that Internet Music Store is loading up. anymore. Only when we were exchanging that file.